OMG today I’m bringing you a new chicken recipe that is insanely delicious, totally fuss free and only takes one pan to make! This caramelized onion and rosemary chicken makes it to our dinner table at least twice a week now. Every time we open the fridge and realise we are out of everything except chicken (happens quite often), we end up with this. Not complaining at all.
Denver left for the US a few days ago and I’m like because I miss him so much already. So bring on all the comfort food to make me feel better like this caramelized onion rosemary chicken. Plus I don’t feel like cooking on my own all that much so I need everything that only takes 30 minutes to make. And doesn’t need clean up, because thats Denver’s job and I’m too lazy for it BTW I just snapchatted my way through this recipe yesterday so if you are on Snapchat (my_foodstory) follow along to see what I’m making today!
Now let’s get into the details of the easiest recipe you are ever going to make. I love making this recipe with bone-in chicken thighs because they become all crisp on the outside and stay really juicy. All you need to do is marinate the chicken in some chili powder, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice; add some oil, place the thighs and brown them, add lots of onions to the pan, sprinkle chopped rosemary and cover and let it cook. Everything just cooks in it’s own juices. No stirring required. The only major work is slicing onions and if you don’t want to end up in tears, just peel and soak them in water for ten minutes before slicing. I end up picking out the onions straight from the pan because who can waaaaait!
I highly recommend using your cast iron pan to make this. If you don’t have one, check out Lodge’s Cast Iron Pans which are really my favourite! This is the skillet I used for this recipe. A regular non stick pan also works but cast iron pans help cook the chicken evenly and give you the best crispy skin ever! And crispy chicken skin rocks our world
Here’s another look at these sticky, caramelized chicken thighs if you need one more reason to go home and make these right about now.
Insanely delicious recipe for 5 ingredient, gluten free caramelized onion and rosemary chicken which takes 30 minutes and only one pan, so no cleanup required!
- 500 grams Chicken (Bone-In Skin-On Thighs)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (or Paprika Powder)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic (Paste)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon (Oil)
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Onions (large , sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 – 2 sprigs Rosemary (, finely chopped)
- to taste Salt
- Mix together chili powder (or paprika), ginger garlic paste and lemon juice in a bowl. Rub this mixture all over the chicken thighs and set aside for 10 minutes while you get the rest of your ingredients ready.
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron pan and add the chicken thighs to it. Brown on high heat for 2 minutes on either side. Reduce the flame and add onions, rosemary and salt. Mix well and cover and cook for 25 minutes till the thighs are cooked through.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons water with honey and add it to the pan. The honey mixture will start sizzling. Mix well so that it coats the chicken and switch off the flame after a minute or two.
- Serve caramelized onion rosemary chicken thighs with a side of steamed rice or bread.