This 20-minute Creamy Salmon Piccata is made entirely in a pan and simmered in a luscious creamy lemon sauce that’s super easy to make. This is an example of how easily salmon can be made at home to look and taste amazing!
This recipe is actually two months old and I wasn’t sure if I should post it on the blog. Because I made this when we were visiting my sister in Seattle. But then I remembered the flavors and that creamy lemon sauce and how we sat on the floor and licked the plate clean once I was done photographing this recipe. That’s true yums.
It doesn’t get better than this. Because you can have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. Which is how long it takes to make this creamy salmon piccata and steamed broccoli (or broccolini) to serve it with. It combines the goodness and nutrition of salmon with a decadent sauce (we are allowed to cheat once in a while) that you’ll want to drown everything in.
I know many of you are scared of cooking seafood or fish. But please don’t be. I want you to give this a go once because it’s really very easy. Seafood cooks extremely fast and doesn’t need to marinate or too much flavoring. Salmon especially has a fantastic flavor of its own. To give you an example, four fillets which are roughly one and a half inches thick, will take you approximate 12-13 minutes to cook. You need another few minutes for the sauce and you are done. While the salmon is cooking, steam some broccoli or broccolini on the side and you have a low carb dinner ready!
How do you make piccata sauce?
A piccata can be made with anything – chicken, seafood, pork – and usually has a creamy lemon sauce with capers as a base. The sauce is made with a base of butter, lemon juice, chicken broth and cream (or flour). Capers are usually sold in small jars and are easily available at most supermarkets. These may be the only ingredient that you may not have in your pantry but try them once and you’ll be a fan.
You can use either fresh or frozen salmon here.
Can I use frozen salmon to make this creamy salmon piccata?
Yes, you can use frozen salmon for this recipe. If its frozen, make sure to thaw it overnight in the fridge and then leave it on the counter for 15-30 minutes to let it come to room temperature. If the salmon is still cold or frozen, it won’t cook properly from the inside and will become rubbery.
You can serve this creamy salmon piccata with steamed rice, quinoa or barley. If you want to keep this low carb or keto friendly, serve this with broccoli or broccoli or any other steamed veggies.
I hope you give this quick and easy dinner recipe a go! Its restaurant worthy but so easy to make at home.
Creamy Salmon Piccata with creamy Lemon Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Salmon Fillets about 1 inch in thickness, boneless
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Garlic minced
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- Juice of 1½ Lemon
- 3 tablespoons Capers drained
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Dry the salmon fillets well with a paper towel and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a 10 or 12 inch skillet and slide in the salmon fillets skin side down (you can also use skinless salmon fillets). Cook them on each side for five minutes and remove them on a plate.
- In the same pan, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, and simmer for a few minutes till its reduced to half. Add the lemon juice and capers and mix.
- Pour in the cream and simmer on a low flame for 2 minutes. Slide the salmon fillets back into the pan and spoon the sauce on them. Turn off the flame and serve immediately.