Creamy lemon mushroom kale linguine pasta is vegetarian, ready in 30 minutes with the best healthy alfredo style white sauce you’ll make!
Hello pasta lovers! We are into creamy sauce, greens and mushrooms with lemon and garlic for the best lunch/dinner food today. This is not really a made-for-the-blog recipe kinda day where I end up planning and deciding which recipe I want to share with you. But it’s a happy experiment that turned into the best lunch/dinner that we’ve had in a while. Meaning I had it for lunch and Denver and Pragya had leftovers for dinner. I’m nice like that.
I’ve never really found kale at grocery stores here, but when I saw it on an online store recently, I obviously ordered multiple batches. Way more than I could handle. Happens to me all the time. I used it up in some Zuppa Toscana (ahhmaaazing), then a salad (ahhmaaaazing) and there was still a bunch, threatening to wilt. Couldn’t let that happen, and I was craving pasta for my lonely lunch date. Just put two and two together now. There was a batch of two days old mushrooms, kale and some linguine. What a dream come true this creamy lemony kale mushroom linguine pasta turned out to be.
I was feeling all kind of good feelings as soon as I started sauteing garlic and mushrooms together. It’s that you know it’s going to turn out well kind of thing. Because can you ever go wrong with creamy white alfredo like sauce, lots of garlic and mushrooms and pasta? With a lot of kale thrown in for good measure. So that the family can still pretend like this is healthy food.
Before we talk about this lemony mushroom kale linguine pasta any further, I have to tell you stories about how Denver had a skateboarding accident today. Some amazing blogger friends were organizing a potluck at Lal Bagh. And you know how I’m always up for good food. We got there famished and ate in silence for like 10 minutes. And Denver decided to try some stunts on a newly acquired skateboard. Stunts he clearly wasn’t equipped for. In his defence, he is already pretty good. But it didn’t end well. There was blood dripping down the nose, and a lot of wet tissues to stop the bleeding. We laughed of course. So that means he was okay/ nothing serious. And he was ready to do it all over again. OMG I love days like these! And him, because he’s such a sport.
I’m really so proud.
And of course we came back to another round of this lemony mushroom kale linguine pasta.
Creamy bowl of deliciousness. Go get some!Print
Creamy lemony mushroom kale linguine pasta is vegetarian, ready in 30 minutes with the best healthy alfredo style white sauce you’ll make!
- 225 grams or 8 ounces Linguine Pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 400 grams or 16 ounces fresh Button Mushrooms (halved)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (or Maida)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chopped Kale
- Zest of 2 limes (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian Seasoning ((oregano, basil etc.))
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil linguine according to package till al dente. Strain, wash with cold water and set aside.
- In a pan, add a tablespoon of butter, a teaspoon of olive oil and the minced garlic. Saute the garlic while the butter heats up till fragrant and add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms on medium high heat for 5-6 minutes till golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and flour to the pan. Cook the flour for a minute or so to cook out the raw flour taste. Slowly add milk in a steady stream while mixing continuously till no lumps exist. Keep whisking while the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer.
- Add the kale, mushrooms, lime zest, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook the kale for a minute or two till it wilts and toss in the pasta. Add some more water or milk if the sauce is too thin. Serve hot.
- Feel free to substitute kale with spinach or your favourite green (even broccoli will work)
- Some freshly grated parmesan wouldn’t hurt either!
If you try this recipe, I’d love to see your creations on Instagram. Tag your pictures #myfoodstory and I’ll be sure to say hi!