Cheesy Mexican Corn Fritters will give any snack a run for its money! They are loaded with fresh corn kernels that have their fresh natural sweetness, and spiced with jalapenos and paprika. Shallow fried to crisp and served with a quick 2 minute creamy dip, these are brilliant!
Lets get close and personal with these Mexican Corn Fritters today. They are not perfectly shaped, most of mine have jagged edges which actually become extra crispy and will be your favorite part. There will also be bits of deep fried corn left over in the pan that you will fight over. And that’s my case for making these Mexican Corn Fritters super fast.
I don’t say it often enough but I love anything fried and crispy though I try to resist it but then I give in, like every five days. Which is why you’ll see many many crispy snacks on this site. Here are some of my favorites.
Favourite Crispy Snacks
- Crispy Honey Chilli Potatoes
- Vegetable Pakoras
- Korean Popcorn Chicken
- Crispy Veg Nuggets
- Jalapeno Three Cheese Samosas
- Potato Samosas
- Crispy Fried Noodles (Not just for your manchow soup)
- Chinese Samosas
- Paneer Pakora Recipe 2 Ways
Let’s talk about how incredibly easy these are, and how you don’t need to scared of frying stuff anymore.
These fritters have a few simple ingredients. I always like to use Besan or chickpea flour for my fritters instead of All Purpose Flour because its healthier. These mexican corn fritters are flavored with chilli powder or paprika, jalapenos and lots of coriander/ cilantro for that spicy herb flavor that really balances out the sweetness from the corn.
And while we make them on repeat when corn is in season, you can really make them all year round with frozen corn kernels. If you are using canned corn though, I would recommend draining the corn completely and washing it under running water to get rid of any extra moisture and liquid before adding it to the batter to get the consistency of the batter right.
Don’t forget that dip. Its only got five ingredients and takes about two extra minutes to make and is so worth it!
I even like serving these Mexican Corn Fritters for dinner once in a while, sandwiched between slices of bread (anybody else does that?), or with a large salad on the side. It makes boring weeknights shine!
Watch Mexican Corn Fritters Recipe Video
Mexican Corn Fritters
- Mexican Corn Fritters
- 1/2 cup Besan / Chickpea Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder / Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 Lemon zest
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup Spring Onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Cream
- 3 cups Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander chopped with stems
- 1/3 cup Canola or any other Vegetable Oil for frying
- Cheddar Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander finely chopped
- 1 Pinch Salt
- In a bowl add both the flours, salt, chilli powder and sugar. Give it a stir to mix together. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, cheese, chopped jalapeno and eggs and mix everything together to get the consistency of a thick batter. Finally add cream, spring onions, corn kernels and coriander and give everything a good stir to get a batter of dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and use an ice cream scoop to drop scoops of batter on to the pan to make fritters. Flatten the batter with the back of a spatula. Cook on one side till golden and once the edges start to brown, flip the fritters over to cook till golden on the other side. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter.
- Make fritters the same way with the balance batter, adding more oil to the pan if required.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, salt and the coriander. Serve the fritters topped with the sauce.