This is the lushest one-bowl chocolate cake recipe I’ve tested – it’s moist, rich and SO SO chocolatey. And it keeps for days (if you can stop yourself from finishing it right away)!
If you’ve been keeping up with my Instagram stories, you’d have seen this super moist chocolate cake in Mahi’s tiffin (and our afternoon snacks too)! And let me tell you – we’re all OBSESSED.
This is one of those fab recipes that is ridiculously simple - everything is mixed together in one bowl and gives you cake that stays super moist for up to FIVE DAYS – literally feels freshly baked even when it's not. And better yet, it can be made in the Air Fryer and the Oven.
So convenient, so good! This is one of those recipes that you’ll keep coming back to. One for the bookmarks!
Ingredients you'll need for One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
This is one of those recipes where I wouldn’t recommend any substitutes, it’s this proportion and combination of ingredients that create the moist texture that we want in a world-class chocolate cake.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – the base of our cake. I don’t recommend subbing this for atta or gluten free flour since that will affect the texture. Maida keeps our cake light, bouncy, and moist.
- Cocoa Powder – this is a chocolate cake, after all!
- Sugar - I use granulated white sugar but you can also use caster sugar or brown sugar here
- Oil - this ensures our cake stays moist for longer, any neutral flavored oil like canola, sunflower, rice bran works
- Curd - my secret ingredient! I find that the combination of oil, curd, and egg in a cake batter results in an extra moist texture which is what we want.
- Egg - for texture and binding. I don’t recommend subbing for a flax egg
- Hot Black Coffee - an espresso shot or just brewed instant coffee works super well here. Coffee enhances the flavour of the cocoa powder and makes this cake super chocolatey and yum. Don’t add plain coffee powder as the liquid from the brewed coffee helps bring the batter together
- Salt - just a pinch
- Baking Powder + Soda - so our cake rises!
Note: the batter will be runny – that’s what we want! Don’t worry about this. Once baked, it’ll be just perfect.
How to make One-bowl chocolate cake:
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make the one-bowl chocolate cake:
1. Add all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a bowl. Whisk together until combined.
2. Add vanilla extract, egg, oil and curd. Whisk well until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
3. Pour in hot coffee.
4. Give it another mix till it's a smooth, runny batter.
5. Pour the batter into lined and greased 6 inch cake mould.
6. Bake at 180C in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Demould, remove the parchment paper and transfer to a wire rack.
8. Allow it to cool completely before serving or frosting.
I like serving mine with a quick chocolate buttercream frosting but this also works great on its own or with a layer of Nutella and chopped berries on top.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is there any difference in baking this cake in the air fryer vs the oven?
The oven will have a longer preheat time, although I recommend that you preheat your airfryer for a couple minutes as well. We want to bake our cake until a knife comes out clean – the overall baking range is 30-40 mins.
2. Can I sub curd for Greek yogurt?
Yes, these can be substituted 1:1 easily. Just use non sweetened, non flavored greek yogurt.
3. How do I store this cake?
You can refrigerate this cake for up to 5-6 days and it will stay fresh and perfectly moist. Magic – I know right?
I think we all need our hands on a fool-proof simple chocolate cake recipe when those sweet tooth cravings come up – and trust me, this is THAT recipe! This is also the perfect activity to engage your kiddos with since the process is so simple to follow and the result is super exciting. A treat for anybody who makes it! You have to get on this!!
If you like this recipe, stay tuned for my Air Fryer series where I’ll be sharing more such quick and convenient recipes.
And if you’re looking for more YUMM cake recipes, try my Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake. And if you’re feeling extra indulgent, try this Molten Lava Cake. Drooling!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour 125 grams
- ¾ cup Sugar 150 grams
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder 32 grams
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Oil 125 millilitres
- ½ cup Curd or Yogurt 130 millilitres
- ½ cup Hot Black Coffee 1 Teaspoon Coffee dissolved in ½ cup of hot water
- Line and grease a 6 inch tin with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180C
- Add all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Add vanilla extract, egg, oil and curd. Whisk well until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Pour in hot coffee and give it another mix till it's a smooth, runny batter. Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Demould and transfer to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before serving or frosting.
Apurva Kamat says
Since the time you had shared this recipe via your IG story amd later in the blogpost I was dying to prepare the cake and try it. Oh the wait was worth every bit of it . It's an amazingly easy to follow recipe and so yumm and delicious 😋 Just loved it 😄 The buttercream frosting was just the icing on top 😉 Awesome and a must try recipe 😄
This recipe is perfect! I finally tried it over the weekend and it turned out the way it says it will…. Super moist and delectable! Thank you
Amazing recipe.. is one of the best chocolate cake repice and i love chocolate cake. i hope its very yummy teast Thanks for sharing.
easy to follow
simple and quick to put together
baked in the airfryer. took under 30mins
cake turned out amazing and love it so much can't wait to make it again..
Nayana Anna Mathew says
Amazing recipe..loved it!!
must try. easiest and tastiest chocolate cake recipe
How can I convert these measurements to grams?
Hey priya, the measurements in grams are given in the recipe card. Are you having trouble seeing them?
One of the best chocolate cake recipes...it's always been a hit.
The Recipe Hoarder says
I totally agree that is an awesome recipe, it really is ridiculously simple and the fact that it stays nice and moist for several days is great! I loved the texture in the first photo and couldn't stop myself from giving it a try on Thursday. Just about to eat the last pieces today, I almost wish I had a piece of this chocolate cake around here every day...
1cup in grams please?
The gram measurements are in the recipe card right next to the volume measurements