This moist, soft Orange Buttermilk Pound cake is really fresh, full of tart flavors and makes for a perfect tea time snack. Every slice is citrusy and when served with a dollop of cream, its absolutely irresistible! After all, what good is an evening without something yummy to nibble on?
Gosh I have so much to tell you guys! I’m just back from the most exciting and memorable road trip at the cutest homestay, I curated a list of my favorite places to eat on Explocity and my best friends are here to spend ONE WHOLE WEEK with me. Plus this orange pound cake which we devoured in exactly seven minutes. Whats better than some good company, a trip with countless memories made and a lovely dessert? That’s right, nothing! 😉
The cake actually happened because of the girls-only road trip I did. These oranges were freshly plucked from the coffee estate we stayed at in Coorg, and we just couldn’t get enough of them so we got a bagful home. Along with some lovely coffee blossom honey, banana jam and alphonsos. Jealous much? I put the fresh oranges to use and made this cake that tasted so good, we really didn’t want it to get over.
We had a blaaaaast doing this shoot with my friends who chipped in with some beautiful blue pottery from Jaipur (notice the cake platter and me beaming on the side), and ran around to make sure we had everything laid out before the light became dull.They are MAJOR sweethearts!
This orange pound cake is moist and soft, with a gorgeous hint of tangy oranges that remind us of the time we spent at the estate, plucking berries and oranges straight from the tree for a quick snack. Try it and I know you won’t be disappointed. It tastes so fruity and fresh, and makes for a perfect dessert to be shared with your closest friends over high tea!
An easy to follow recipe for soft, moist orange buttermilk pound cake which is full of fresh, tart flavors and is a perfect tea-time snack.
- 200 g All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 113 g unsalted Butter
- 160 g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Orange (Zest)
- 2 Eggs (large , at room temperature)
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degree celcius. Grease and line a 8.5 inch x 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper so that the paper hangs down the sides. This makes it much easier to lift the cake out once it’s baked.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter, sugar and orange zest till light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined.
- Add half the flour mixture and mix till just combined. Add the buttermilk and orange juice and give it another stir. Add the rest of the flour to the mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 55-60 mins until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing it and placing it on a wire rack to cool further.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar, and serve with freshly sliced oranges.
This recipe makes 1 loaf.
Quick substitution for buttermilk: Mix together ½ cup milk and ½ teaspoon vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes.