These French Bread Pizza Toasts are the fastest way to get pizza on the table. Absolutely nostalgic for an adult, and perfect as an after school snack or even a quick breakfast. Choose from a variety of toppings to make these pizza toasts your own!
The hankering for pizza can be sudden and intense. I understand. Because I get that craving a lot.
And if I don’t want to wait two hours to make pizza from scratch, I grab a loaf of french bread and have french bread pizza on the table in less than 15 minutes.
These french bread pizzas are really quick and easy. And they may not be the real thing, but they taste just like pizza. And I make each slice a different topping so that I have variety everytime we make them. Its mostly ingredients that are grab and go from the fridge. Slightly wilted bell peppers, mushrooms that are about to go bad, meh looking spinach? Get those half eaten veggies out from the back and they make some seriously good toppings here. Don’t let anything go to waste!
Bread for Pizza Toasts
You don’t have to stick to french bread only for these pizzas. You can choose from sliced white or brown bread, halved burger buns, soft french bread, or even some flat bread or chapatis. Choose whatever you already have in your pantry or is easily available.
Start with laying out your bread of your choosing flat on a baking sheet, and slather on a tablespoon or two of pizza sauce. Then top it with your favourite toppings, sprinkle some mozzarella on top, add some salt and pepper and toast for approx 10-12 minutes until the pizzas are brown and crispy along the edges and the cheese has melted.
Favourite Pizza Toppings
Some of my favourite pizza toppings are:
- Bell Peppers
- Sliced Onions
- Ham and Pineapple
- Broccoli (yess!)
Seriously, anything goes. No judging! You are the king of your own pizza and these pizza toasts will be amazing no matter what.
More Recipes for Pizza Lovers
Watch how to make French Bread Pizza Toasts Video
French Bread Pizza Toasts
- 1 French Loaf Bread Soft (approx 12-16 inches long)
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1/3 cup Mushroom sliced (topping)
- 1/3 cup Onion sliced (topping)
- 1/3 cup Bell pepper sliced (topping)
- 1 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 204C
- Slice the french bread in half and lay them cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Spread a tablespoon or two of pizza sauce on each slice, top with your topping of choice and sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella on each slice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are brown and the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Feel free to drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle chilli flakes if you like before serving.
- White Bread: If using plain white bread slices, its best to pre-toast it for 5 minutes, before adding sauce, topping and cheese and then broiling it (toasting with the rack in the upper shelf with only the top element on) for 3-4 minutes till the cheese melts and the toppings roast.
- Freezing Pizza Toasts: Pizza toasts can be easily frozen. Once you've prepared them, place unbaked pizza toasts on a baking sheet and place the sheet straight into the freezer for an hour, till the pizzas are frozen and hard. Then transfer them to a large ziplock bag for later. These will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months. When ready to bake, bake them frozen but add a few extra minutes to the baking time.
- The nutrition information below is for a french bread pizza with bell peppers and olives as topping. The nutritional information will change slightly with each topping.