These Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are super creamy and take 30 minutes and one electric pressure cooker from start to finish. They should be called melt-in-your-mouth mashed potatoes because they are sooo good!
You are just 20 minutes from the most amazingly soft and creamy mashed potatoes of your life. This is the kind of recipe that gets me incredibly excited about being a food blogger. Because it means that I get to taste test and make the most awesome instant pot garlic mashed potatoes in my kitchen, and then share them with you guys.
My kitchen gets to smell delicious and then I hopefully get you excited enough to try these and feel the same feels. Even though we are miles away from each other. Thats what recipes like these instant pot garlic mashed potatoes do for food lovers like you and I – they keep us connected.
I have now tried these garlic mashed potatoes multiple ways – by infusing the garlic in oil and mixing it in, by roasting the garlic in the oven and then mixing it in and by just straight up adding them to the Instant Pot. My goal –> to make these the easiest garlic mashed potatoes you will ever make. Totally mess free, one pot and really ready in 30 minutes.
And I think I have achieved that here. The Instant Pot really helps because I think this is now my favorite way of cooking potatoes. If you have never tried a pressure cooker to cook potatoes, it’s a game changer – the double action of steam and high pressure makes sure the potatoes cook evenly and give you a fantastic texture and great tasting potatoes.
Why these Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are the easiest mashed potatoes
- Everything is one pot so you have only one pot to clean
- It takes 30 minutes from start to finish when you are cooking with 1 kg/ 2 pounds potatoes including the prep time to peel and chop potatoes
- The garlic cooks with the potatoes, infuses them and becomes really soft so that it gets mashed easily
- No fancy ingredients – just simple stuff thats available in your pantry
The One Pot Mashed Potato Technique
The technique that we are using with these instant pot garlic mashed potatoes may seem a bit weird, because we are adding only 2/3 cup water to about 1 kilogram/ 2 pounds potatoes and then mashing the potatoes with a potato masher right in there with the remaining water, without draining them. We like our potatoes really creamy and smooth which is why this works really well for us. In the beginning, things may look a bit runny, but just keep going and as you finish mashing, the potatoes feel thicker and everything comes together. Add the sour cream, cream cheese and butter and you have potatoes that are the perfect creamy consistency and almost feel like soft pillows of whipped cream.
Mashed Potatoes Toppings and Add-Ins
We like keeping things simple with just some more butter and chopped chives but here are some ideas for other toppings that can take any mashed potatoes to superstar levels:
- Add-ins such as cheddar, ranch and parmesan can add a lot of subtle flavors to mashed potatoes
- Herbs like rosemary and thyme or even sage add more earthiness and bold flavors
- You can also top your mashed potatoes with cooked chicken, steamed broccoli, bacon or if you feel super fancy – some browned butter
I hope you enjoyed this handy dandy post which seems to have become a tutorial on how to make mashed potatoes in an Instant Pot/ Pressure cooker and trust me, the day you attempt these – you will never look back!
You Might Also Like:
- Mashed Potatoes 4 Ways
- Creamiest Parsley Baby Potatoes
- Thai Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Bisque
- Healthy Lemon Dill Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken Potato Corn Chowder with Bacon
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe Video (Step by Step)
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
- 1 kg Potatoes peeled and cut into even 1 inch pieces
- 6 Garlic Cloves peeled and smashed
- 2/3 cup Water or Chicken Stock with no added salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Butter divided
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- More butter and chopped chives for topping
- In an Instant Pot add potatoes, garlic, water, salt and one and a half tablespoons butter. Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing and cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes. (My Instant Pot took 10 minutes to come to pressure, so the total time taken was 18 minutes). Release pressure immediately by turning the knob to 'vent', and open the lid once the pressure is released.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes in the Instant Pot for really creamy potatoes. For fluffier mashed potatoes, you can drain the water and then mash the potatoes. Once the potatoes are mashed, mix in the remaining butter, sour cream and cream cheese. Mix well while the potatoes are still steaming hot. Taste and add more salt if required. Top with more butter and chives and serve.
- For fluffier potatoes use starchy potatoes like Russet or Yukon Gold. Those are not available here in India though but these mashed potatoes are still awesome!
- To prep potatoes in advance, you can peel and cut them and keep them soaked in water for a couple of hours in the refrigerator. This helps avoid oxidization and keeps them from turning brown
- You can also substitute with baby potatoes, in which case you don't need to cut them. You can also avoid peeling them, if you are okay with the texture, but make sure you wash them really well
- Chicken Stock or even bone broth adds a ton of flavour to mashed potatoes so feel free to use that instead of water. Its important to use stock/broth that doesn't have any added salt or you may need to adjust the amount of salt used in the recipe