These Stir Fried Black Bean Chicken Lettuce Cups are for when you want a quick and healthy weeknight dinner with a glass of wine by your side to kick in the good vibes!
This stir fried black bean chicken lettuce cups recipe post is sponsored by Big Banyan who make some of the best wines in India. Denver and I are particularly fond of their Merlot, a bottle of which is usually cooling in the fridge on most evenings.
Is it okay to break some rules today? Like pairing a beautiful glass of white wine with a fun, healthy dish like these Stir Fried Black Bean Chicken Lettuce Cups instead of fancy poached fish? I'm all for poached fish, I am. But you know, weeknight dinners should be fast and easy and mostly healthy and these black bean chicken lettuce cups are everything!
When we picked a bottle of Big Banyan's Sauvignon Blanc for our collection, it was a surprise as we are not really white wine drinkers, and a little partial to Malbec, but I think I'm in love with this one, especially when it's chilled.
So last week when Denver and I got home, just in time for dinner, we ended up making some stir fried black bean chicken, and since we realized we were out of noodles, the black bean chicken went into lettuce cups. And you won't believe how great that combination was. It was like having salad for dinner, but even better. Out came the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that was cooling in the fridge while we put dinner together, and just like that, a regular meal became so much fun!
These stir fried black bean chicken lettuce cups are a perfect last minute dinner option if you have some ground chicken and black bean sauce on hand. Or if you are willing to make a quick stop at the supermarket like I do, to pick them up on my way home. Just six to seven simple ingredients if you include oil, onions and some capsicum and you've got yourself a winner. And I think I'm going to be skipping the noodles on this one and go with the lettuce cups instead because I actually prefer it. It's crunchier, healthier and definitely lighter on the stomach.
You might also like: Vegetarian Mapo Tofu Lettuce Wraps
I'm not a wine expert by trade, just a regular wine drinker like you, but if I had to describe Big Banyan's Sauvignon Blanc I'd say that it's herbaceous, citrusy and definitely light on the palette. Which makes it just right for these black bean chicken lettuce cups. Now you are going to wonder why I chose a white wine for this recipe. It's because the spicy hint of green peppers in the wine really compliments the bold flavors of this dish. It has a hint of citrus and you'll be surprised at the crisp lightness when you take a sip. I also love topping the lettuce cups with some freshly chopped basil which really enhances the flavor and goes beautifully with the wine. Pair it with anything that has fresh herbs, or is green and fresh like lettuce and you will have the perfect combination!
More Bean Recipes You Should Try:
- Southwest Chicken Quinoa Bean Salad
- Comforting Mexican Style Tortilla Bean Soup
- The Ultimate Dal Makhani
Stir Fried Black Bean Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 4-6 Iceberg Lettuce Leaves washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped (medium)
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Capsicum diced
- 500 grams Ground Chicken
- 3 tablespoons Black Bean Sauce I recommend Lee Kum Kee
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add onions and garlic to it. Saute for two to three minutes till the onions are just translucent. Add the capsicum and stir fry for another minute on high heat.
- Add the ground chicken to the pan and break it down with the spoon. Stir fry till lightly golden brown, about five minutes, and add the black bean sauce. Cook this for another minute and switch off the flame.
- To assemble, hold each lettuce leaf to form a cup, and spoon the black bean chicken into it. Top the black bean chicken lettuce cups with some chillies, spring onions or micro greens if you like and serve immediately with a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
Leave a Comment