This tomato basil pasta will surprise you because the amount of flavor you can pack into this in 15 minutes is absolutely amazing! This recipe uses a handful of ingredients so it’s really simple and perfect when you want deliciousness in a hurry.
I have a lot of recipes on this blog but I don’t make them very often because I’m always trying out new things. But this one – is on our table every few days. Because we LOVE the flavors and anything that takes less than 30 minutes to make is a winner for me.
Here’s what makes this cherry tomato basil pasta with garlic such a winner:
- There is a lot of fresh sweet and tart flavor from the cherry tomatoes
- The cherry tomatoes are halved and added to the pan and as they burst and soften, they create a sauce for the dish. Reserved pasta water also helps thicken the sauce
- We are using a lot of garlic in the recipe because we love garlic at home and when its paired with tomato and basil, you don’t need much else
- Lots of fresh basil added right in the end adds so much freshness in every bite
- I love using angel hair pasta which is a thinner spaghetti, because the light sauce coats it and it’s not heavy. Because the pasta is so thin, it makes this dish really light
This might seem like a summer pasta but to me it really is an all weather dish because I always have fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil in the fridge. We have substituted cherry tomatoes with whole roma tomatoes sometimes. Cherry tomatoes are definitely sweeter and I love them, but roma tomatoes work as well. Just make sure you don’t skimp on the tomatoes. Toss them up on a high flame first and then let them simmer for a bit till they break down and start becoming saucy.
You don’t need too much technique or finesse while making this super easy garlic cherry tomato basil pasta. Just a whole lotta love and great quality ingredients.
Watch Tomato Basil Pasta Recipe Video
Tomato Basil Pasta (15 minutes)
- 200 grams Angel Hair Pasta or any other long string pasta
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 3 ½ cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Fresh mozzarella / Bocconcini
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions till al dente. While the pasta is cooking, reserve ½ cup pasta water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Sauté the garlic on a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and two pinches of salt and cook them for a few minutes till soft. Break the tomatoes slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Add reserved pasta water and simmer for 5 minutes till it thickens and becomes saucy.
- Add pasta and butter and toss well. Add the basil, toss again till the basil wilts. Break the cheese and add it on top. Serve immediately.