This tomato basil pasta will surprise you because the amount of flavor you can pack into this in 15 minutes is absolutely amazing! This recipe uses a handful of ingredients so it's really simple and perfect when you want deliciousness in a hurry.
I have a lot of recipes on this blog but I don't make them very often because I'm always trying out new things. But this one - is on our table every few days. Because we LOVE the flavors and anything that takes less than 30 minutes to make is a winner for me.
Here's what makes this cherry tomato basil pasta with garlic such a winner:
- There is a lot of fresh sweet and tart flavor from the cherry tomatoes
- The cherry tomatoes are halved and added to the pan and as they burst and soften, they create a sauce for the dish. Reserved pasta water also helps thicken the sauce
- We are using a lot of garlic in the recipe because we love garlic at home and when its paired with tomato and basil, you don't need much else
- Lots of fresh basil added right in the end adds so much freshness in every bite
- I love using angel hair pasta which is a thinner spaghetti, because the light sauce coats it and it's not heavy. Because the pasta is so thin, it makes this dish really light
This might seem like a summer pasta but to me it really is an all weather dish because I always have fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil in the fridge. We have substituted cherry tomatoes with whole roma tomatoes sometimes. Cherry tomatoes are definitely sweeter and I love them, but roma tomatoes work as well. Just make sure you don't skimp on the tomatoes. Toss them up on a high flame first and then let them simmer for a bit till they break down and start becoming saucy.
You don't need too much technique or finesse while making this super easy garlic cherry tomato basil pasta. Just a whole lotta love and great quality ingredients.
See More Quick Pasta Recipes:
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- All-In Sunday Veggie Pasta
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Pasta in Jalapeno Pesto
- Chicken Florentine Pasta
- White Sauce Pasta
Watch Tomato Basil Pasta Recipe Video
Tomato Basil Pasta (15 minutes)
- 200 grams Angel Hair Pasta or any other long string pasta
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 3 ½ cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Fresh mozzarella / Bocconcini
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions till al dente. While the pasta is cooking, reserve ½ cup pasta water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Sauté the garlic on a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and two pinches of salt and cook them for a few minutes till soft. Break the tomatoes slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Add reserved pasta water and simmer for 5 minutes till it thickens and becomes saucy.
- Add pasta and butter and toss well. Add the basil, toss again till the basil wilts. Break the cheese and add it on top. Serve immediately.
- Always add the pasta to boiling water. Never add pasta to warm or room temperature water. Time it and cook it till al dente.
- Reserve some of the pasta water as the starch present in this will help thicken the sauce.
- Cook tomatoes on medium heat instead of low heat. This will give it an extra charred smoky flavour.
- Time it so that the pasta gets cooked just about the same time the sautéed tomatoes are ready. This way the pasta won't harden and the sauce won't settle.
- Feel free to swap the tomatoes for something else like bacon (see bacon aglio olio) or shrimp (see shrimp aglio olio) or mushroom (see mushroom aglio olio)
Nodee Hankins says
I love this recipe. Especially in the Summer when my sunsugar tomatoes are ripe.
Thanks for the recipe!
A PERFECT WAY TO USE UP SOME OF OF MY CHERRY TOMATOES! SO DELICIOUS!!
Every recipe is so good!! Keep up the good work. Amateur cooks like me can learn so much from this blog 🤪
Thanks Renisha - have you tried other recipes too?
Yulisa Terrón says
Amazing recipe! Made it and truly enjoyed it. It's a must try recipe.
Richa Gupta says
Thanks Yulisa! We are glad you liked this simple pasta recipe!
I have always wanted to make a recipe like this. I thought it would be hard. This was the easiest best pasta I have made in a long, long time!! Thank you so much for this recipe!
Yay! Thank you so much Nodee! Glad you liked it
Richa Gupta says
This was a very easy and light meal. During the sautéing of the vegetables, I add about a cup of white wine. Simmering to evaporate the alcohol. Added fresh grated Parmesan cheese at the end. Will be adding this to the rotation of dinners. Hubby said the only bad thing about this meal, everyone enjoyed it and nothing left over for the next nite.
Richa Gupta says
Sounds so yummy, Michelle! Glad you liked tomato basil pasta!
Absolutely delicious, will make this over and over!
Richa Gupta says
Thanks Marlene 🙂
it looks mouthwatering! i will make it for dinner tonight, as i have some cherry tomatoes at home and lots of basil in the kitchen garden.
p.s. i love your blog because it does not go on and on with stories and gyaan. it's all about the food, and there's not a lot of scrolling to do before i get to the meat, so to speak. oh, and the photos are both tempting and very persuasive.
Thanks so much Preeti! You are so sweet. I really hope you like this recipe.