An easy 15 minute recipe for lazy nights when you crave some pasta goodness which comes through best in spaghetti! This Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio is a really quick and comforting meal involving really less ingredients. Its perfect for meatless weeknights!
Favorite pasta time peeps! Also featuring my favorite veggie - mushrooms in this 15 minute mushroom spaghetti aglio olio.
Just letting you in on a secret - we end up doing an aglio olio pasta at least once a week. It's our lazy dinner night when we don't really want to do any chopping or too much cooking and would much rather spend that time slouching on the couch in our pyjamas and watching Netflix. Are you with me?
We are such pros at spaghetti aglio olio now that these days it's all about variations. The classic aglio olio does make an appearance once in awhile, but let's see what else we can do with it. Enter Bacon Spaghetti Aglio Olio which is still my favorite but currently topping the charts has to be this Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio. I even have a super quick video to show you how to make this
Watch How to Make Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio Video
We always have spaghetti in the kitchen cupboard, obviously. We are a carb loving family. And there is nothing to this recipe except spaghetti, good quality extra virgin olive oil, some parsley (dried or fresh) and chilli flakes. Which is why it's so easy to do variations! We recently did a Goan Chorizo Sausage version which was mind blowing (coming up soon).
Ingredients for Mushroom Pasta
Here's what you'll need:
- Mushrooms: I'm using two varieties - button mushrooms and oyster mushrooms. Take off the hardy stem before you use them. You can also use other varieties such as cremini, porcini etc.
- Olive Oil: Lots of it and don't skimp here, because this is what emulsifies with pasta water to create a delicious slippery sauce that coats the noodles
- Garlic: Chopped garlic that's simmered slowly in olive oil to impart all of that flavour
- Chilli Flakes: A must have for extra flavour and a hit of heat that's perfect
- Parmesan: Only the best kind you can find
- Salt: Salt for cooking the pasta and a little for the sauce. They say pasta water should taste like sea water
- Parsley: For freshness and flavour right at the end
The aglio olio, any version of it, is really Denver's favorite, which is why I love making it so often. I think he's a secret gourmand who loves the finer things in life. Unlike me who is mostly a glutton and will stuff her face with anything, any time of the day.
But seriously guys, this one's perfect for nights when all you want to do is slouch and watch. Who's with me here?
This post was first published on September 13, 2016 and updated on August 4, 2021 with a new recipe video and some changes to the recipe to improve it
15 minutes Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio
- 250 grams Spaghetti
- ⅓ cup Olive oil divided
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms cleaned and cut in half
- 100 grams Oyster Mushrooms
- 7-8 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped Parsley
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Parmesan grated
- Salt to taste
- Boil spaghetti in salted water as per package instructions until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water before you drain the pasta.
- While the spaghetti is boiling, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add mushrooms. Saute on medium high heat for a few minutes till golden brown on all sides.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and garlic. On a low heat, cook the garlic for a few minutes till a light golden brown. Add chilli flakes and the reserved pasta water, half teaspoon salt and let this cook and reduce till the sauce emulsifies (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the cooked spaghetti, mushrooms, parsley and toss well till the sauce coats the pasta. Top with grated parmesan and serve