An easy 15 minute recipe for lazy nights when you crave some pasta goodness which comes through best in spaghetti! This Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio is a really quick and comforting meal involving just a handful of ingredients.
This mushroom spaghetti aglio olio is my favorite lazy day dinner. It's ideal for the evenings when I don't want to do do too much chopping or cooking. We always have spaghetti in the kitchen cupboard, apart from which you need just a few other ingredients like mushrooms, good quality extra virgin olive oil, some parsley (dried or fresh), chilli flakes - and 15 minutes to make a delicious meal.
Quick Walk Through: Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio
Ingredients for Mushroom Pasta
- Mushrooms: I'm using two varieties - button mushrooms and oyster mushrooms. Take off the hardy stem before you use them. You can also use other varieties such as cremini, porcini etc.
- Olive Oil: This is the most important ingredient in this recipe as it has no sauce. I would recommend using really good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor and texture.
- Garlic: Chopped garlic that's simmered slowly in olive oil to impart all of that flavour
- Chilli Flakes: A must have for extra flavour and a hit of heat
- Parmesan: Only the best kind you can find
- Salt: Salt for cooking the pasta and a little for the sauce
- Parsley: For freshness and flavour right at the end
Top Tips To Make The Best Mushroom Aglio Olio
- When you first add garlic to the oil, be careful to not overcook it as it will make the whole dish acrid instead of beautifully fragrant like it should be.
- Do not skimp on the amount of olive you use as that is what will help emulsify the pasta with water and create that perfect slippery pasta texture of aglio olio.
- Make sure to add a generous amount of salt when cooking the pasta. According to experts, pasta water should taste like sea water.
Once you realise just how simple yet delicious and filling it is to make this pasta, it will surely make a regular appearance on your dinner menu. We usually just eat this with a slice of toasted bread for a quick and simple meal.
Watch How to Make Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio Video
15 minutes Mushroom Spaghetti Aglio Olio
- 250 grams Spaghetti
- ⅓ cup Olive oil divided
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms cleaned and cut in half
- 100 grams Oyster Mushrooms
- 7-8 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped Parsley
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Parmesan grated
- Salt to taste
- Boil spaghetti in salted water as per package instructions until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water before you drain the pasta.
- While the spaghetti is boiling, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add mushrooms. Saute on medium high heat for a few minutes till golden brown on all sides.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and garlic. On a low heat, cook the garlic for a few minutes till a light golden brown. Add chilli flakes and the reserved pasta water, half teaspoon salt and let this cook and reduce till the sauce emulsifies (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the cooked spaghetti, mushrooms, parsley and toss well till the sauce coats the pasta. Top with grated parmesan and serve
- Always add the pasta to boiling water. Never add pasta to warm or room temperature water. Time it and cook it till al dente.
- Reserve some of the pasta water as the starch present in this will help thicken the sauce.
- Cook mushroom on medium high heat instead of low heat. Slow cooking tends to make the mushroom limp and leave out water. Do not overcook.
- Time it so that the spaghetti gets cooked just about the same time the sautéed mushroom aglio olio is ready. This way the spaghetti won't harden and the mushrooms won't leave out water.
- Feel free to swap the mushrooms for something else like bacon (see bacon aglio olio) or shrimp (see shrimp aglio olio)
This post was first published on September 13, 2016 and updated on August 4, 2021 with a new recipe video and some changes to the recipe to improve it