Chicken Lollipop can be made so easily at home! And you’ll know exactly what’s going into the batter. This is another restaurant style recipe that tastes even better homemade.
I love double dipping my chicken lollipop in schezwan sauce. Because I love that extra sweet and spicy hit!
Alright so it looks like I’m on a Chinese takeout roll here. It was egg fried rice first and now we are coming in strong with these chicken lollipops. I can’t help it there. I love chinese food and I love creating my favorites at home. It’s like a challenge to see if I can get really close to the restaurant style taste or make it taste even better!
This time I’ve come so close to getting that crispy juicy perfection that we all love so much. And it’s so easy you won’t believe it!
It’s all in the batter. The lollipops are marinated first, for about half an hour. That’s all you need for marination. And then dipped into a batter made with cornflour, all purpose flour and rice flour (for an extra crispy coating) and fried till golden brown.
Full disclaimer: I don’t know how to trim the meat and make chicken lollipops myself, so I just buy them ready from the store. You can check out this video if you’d like to prep chicken lollipops yourself.
I feel like these are also kid friendly. Kids love eating things that they can pick up and bite. Which makes these super convenient. You can reduce the spice in this to make these for your toddler!
When you order chicken lollipop at a restaurant, they’ll always be a deep red colour. That comes from food coloring. Which we are staying away from. I like using chilli powder which also gives it that same reddish hue.
Check out my homemade schezwan sauce recipe too. I make it in a big batch and refrigerate it. It’s so handy when I’m making lollipops, crispy veg nuggets or schezwan fried rice!
Watch Chicken Lollipop Recipe VideoPrint
Make chicken lollipop at home with this detailed, easy to follow recipe. These lollipops are crunchy, juicy and taste just as good as takeout! Plus when you make them at home, no more soggy lollipops.
- 500 grams chicken lollipop
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- oil for frying
- Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, red chilli powder, garlic paste, salt in a bowl and toss the chicken lollipops in it. Marinade for half an hour.
- In the same bowl, add cornflour, all purpose flour, rice flour, egg and ginger paste and mix well to create a thick batter and coat the lollipops in it.
- Heat about two inches oil in a wok or kadhai to 350F/ 176C. Add the battered lollipops one by one to the oil in such a way that the meat is at the bottom and the bone is on top (watch the video to see how I do it). Fry these on medium high heat till golden brown – approx 3-4 minutes.
- Take these out on a tissue paper to blot out any excess oil and serve hot with schezwan sauce.
Cutting chicken lollipop: Chicken lollipops are prepared using the middle segment of the chicken wing. You can watch this video to learn how to do this at home or just buy them pre-prepared from the store.
Make these in advance: You can also make these ahead by frying them once and storing them for a couple of hours. When ready to serve, heat the oil to about 400F/204C and flash fry the lollipops for the second time for just a minute. This will give it a super crispy coating and you’ll have hot chicken lollipops ready to go.