Crispy Fried Spinach is hands down the best, most amazing way to eat spinach! Also called Crackling Spinach, this is literally firecrackers in your mouth because it's so so good.
I have no idea what the origins of this recipe are. I have no idea if it's Indian or Chinese but its so dang good! You cannot go wrong with deep fried anything. Testimony to the fact are gobi manchurian, crispy thread paneer, veg cutlets and samosas. But deep fried spinach just takes the cake! It's so dang good. And nobody can blame you for not eating your greens.
How to make Crispy Fried Spinach + Ingredients
You only need a few simple ingredients to make crispy fried spinach:
- Preparing Spinach: Fresh, green leaves. Wash the leaves well a few times with fresh water to make sure all the dirt is out. Leaves and stems can trap a lot of it. Then pat it dry and layer it between paper towels or kitchen cloth to dry the leaves completely.
- Ginger and Garlic: Finely chopped so that you don't get large bits in your bite
- Salt and Sugar: These create that fine balance that makes this dish so spectacular
- Chilli Flakes: For a hit of heat. Not too much
- Sesame Seeds: More crunch and flavour
- Oil: For deep frying. I prefer neutral flavoured oils such as canola, sunflower, rice bran
- Shred Spinach: Place a few spinach leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar and then shred them finely with a sharp knife. Give it another rough chop once shredded.
- Fry Spinach: Deep fry the spinach in hot oil for a few minutes. It takes about 2-3 minutes to get crispy. Take the spinach out on a tissue paper to get rid of any excess oil
- Fry Ginger and Garlic: In the same oil, use a strainer and fry ginger and garlic (watch the video to see how). This method will ensure you can get all the ginger and garlic out of the oil
- Add: Add all the ingredients to a bowl
- Toss: Toss really well with your hands
- Serve: Serve immediately. But the spinach stays crisp for a while
I bet this will make an amazing side dish with anything. You could serve it with grilled chicken, stuffed chicken, or more chinese dishes like thread paneer, chilli paneer, chilli chicken, honey chilli potatoes etc.
Watch the Video
- 250 Grams Spinach - leaves only washed, pat dry and finely shredded
- Oil for frying
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Castor Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Sprinkle shredded spinach over a kitchen towel or tissue paper. Dab with another towel or tissue and remove as much moisture as possible. Keep covered until ready to fry.
- Heat oil in a kadai or frying pan on medium flame for deep frying. Once hot, sprinkle the spinach carefully into the pan. Fry on medium for 2-3 minutes or until crispy. Use a slotted spoon or a spider strainer to remove the spinach. Transfer onto a tissue lined plate.
- Add ginger and garlic into a spider strainer and place it in the hot oil and fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and transfer to a tissue lined plate.
- Transfer the fried spinach, ginger and garlic into a bowl. Add toasted sesame seeds, red chilli flakes, castor sugar and salt. Toss to combine and serve hot.