Spinach Mushroom stuffed Chicken Breast is a super fast and easy dinner that’s healthy and delicious! It literally takes minutes to put together and cooks in under 15 minutes. Juicy chicken breast and the fantastic combination of spinach, mushroom and cheese – you can’t go wrong with it!
Lets just take a moment to take a long look at this picture. I see gooey melting cheese, golden brown mushrooms and beautifully wilted spinach, all cushioned in a chicken breast thats crisp outside but tender, juicy inside. Heaven? YASSSS!
Chicken dinners like these don’t have to be complicated or even take longer than 20 minutes. This one doesn’t. It looks like a dream and tastes like one.
Before I even posted this recipe here, I did a step-by-step tutorial on my Instagram stories the other day (BTW this recipe is saved to the highlights) and the response was incredible. So so many people have tried this recipe by now that I already know its a winner and had to share it with you guys. I’d even go as far as to say that it’s already topping the charts of the most-cooked recipe on Instagram.
Stuffing Ideas for Chicken Breasts
Stuffing chicken breasts is so easy to do. Here are some other things you can stuff your chicken breasts with if you are bored of grilling, baking or pan-frying them:
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Leftover Fried Rice stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Onion Bell Peppers Cheese stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Broccoli and Cheese stuffed Chicken
- Bacon and Sundried Tomato stuffed Chicken
You get the idea guys?
The most frequent question I get when I post a chicken breast recipe is how to cook it right. And trust me, cooking chicken breasts is simple if you keep a few things in mind.
How to cook juicy stuffed chicken breasts?
The trick to cooking stuffed chicken breasts just right and keeping them juicy is to start them on a hot pan so that you sear the chicken. This locks in the juices. And then based on the size of the chicken breast, you cook them for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side till the internal temperature registers 165F/74C. But I get that not everyone has a meat thermometer and here’s what I tell them. If you are making chicken breasts in India, where they are smaller cook them for six minutes on each side. But if you are cooking them in the U.S. for example, cook them for 7 minutes on each side. Once you take them off the pan, don’t cut into them immediately. Let them rest for 2-3 minutes before you slice into them.
There are tons of recipes online that ask you to bake your stuffed chicken. I disagree really. Because chicken breast cooks so fast, I prefer cooking this on the stovetop. You can actually see whats happen to the chicken, check the temperature and visually see the doneness.
I love my cast iron pan for this recipe because it locks in the heat and heats so evenly. But if you don’t have one, go ahead and use what you have!
I hope you love this spinach mushroom stuffed chicken as much as I do! It won’t let you down.
Spinach Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 10-12 Button Mushrooms approx 200 grams, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Blend
- 3 Chicken Breasts skinless (boneless)
- 2 cups Spinach Leaves roughly chopped (loosely packed)
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron pan and add mushrooms and garlic. Toss the mushrooms with the Italian seasoning blend and salt on high heat for 2-3 minutes till they are golden brown and slightly crispy around the edges. Remove in a bowl and set aside.
- To stuff the chicken breasts, butterfly the chicken (or slice it in half without slicing it all the way through. The chicken breast should open out like a butterfly with one end along the length still intact in the middle). Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- Now open the chicken breast out such that it looks like a butterfly. On one side, place a tablespoon or two of mushrooms, top with a handful of spinach leaves and then finally sprinkle 1/4 grated cheese. Fold the other side of the chicken breast on top and then secure it in place with a toothpick so that the stuffing doesn't come out. Repeat this for all the chicken breasts.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in the same pan and place the chicken breasts. Start on high heat, and after a minute reduce the flame to medium. Cook the breasts on each side for 6-7 minutes depending on the size of the breasts. Remove on a plate and let them rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.