If I had to describe this cucumber raita in just one word, it would be ‘refreshing’! Super quick and easy, this raita makes for the perfect accompaniment to most Indian dishes. All you need is four basic ingredients and a couple of minutes to put this one together.
Raita is such a great way to complete any Indian meal, don’t you think? Whether it’s the basic everyday lunch of roti, sabzi, dal and rice or that Sunday special biryani, adding a raita to the mix always makes things more interesting. What I love the most about raitas is how unbelievably quick and simple they are! And this cucumber raita is no exception.
More Raita recipes for you - Onion Raita | Pyaaz ka Raita , Boondi Raita (Dahi Boondi ka Raita), Indian Spiralized Cucumber Mint Raita, Indian Vegetable Raita!
Ingredients for Cucumber Raita
All you need is grated cucumber, yoghurt or curd, cumin powder and salt! Yes, just four basic ingredients and you’ve a bomb raita ready in 5 minutes!
Apart from the taste, the texture and consistency also play an important role in making the perfect cucumber raita. It should neither be too runny nor too thick. The perfect raita is supposed to be creamy.
And a tip I swear by to make the yummiest kheera raita is to squeeze out all the excess water from the grated cucumber before adding it to the curd. This prevents your raita from becoming too runny and gives you the perfect texture each time.
How to make Cucumber Raita
Here's a quick step by step to show you how to make this easy recipe
- Add curd, rock salt and cumin powder in a bowl. You can also use hung curd or greek yogurt for an even creamier raita - almost like tzatziki
- Whisk these together till smooth
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from grated cucumber. Do this a few times till you get all the liquid out
- Add this to the curd mixture
- Mix this well. At this point you can also add some chopped green chillies for spice
- Serve this chilled
While this cucumber raita tastes delicious as is, you can add onions, tomatoes, green chillies and coriander for an extra boost of flavour. Serve it with parathas, roti and sabzi, biryani or even veg pulao to make a complete meal!
Pair Raita With
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
Cucumber Raita (Kheere ka Raita)
- 1 Cup Curd plain unsweetened yoghurt or greek yogurt
- ½ Teaspoon Roasted Jeera Powder cuming powder
- ¾ Teaspoon Rock Salt sub with plain salt
- 1 Cup Grated Cucumber
- Whisk together curd, jeera powder and salt in a bowl until it is smooth.
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the grated cucumber. Do this a few times. This will ensure your raita doesn't stays thick and creamy
- Add in grated cucumber and mix to combine. Sprinkle chilli powder on top and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment