A very popular side with most Indian dishes, boondi raita is a quick and simple way to jazz up any meal. Made with boondi, yogurt and a handful of spices, it tastes really delicious and comes together in a matter of minutes!
Raita is a staple in our house, especially with Indian dishes. While I love experimenting with my raitas, this boondi raita is something I often fall back on. And the best part? It’s ridiculously simple, requires zero prep and is ready in just 5 minutes. Who doesn’t love that, right?
Ingredients for Boondi Raita
All you need for this recipe is boondi (fried gram balls), yogurt (dahi), and a handful of common spices such as green chillies, cumin powder, rock salt, sugar and coriander.
How to make Boondi Raita
- Add yogurt/curd, rock salt and cumin powder to a bowl
- Whisk well till smooth and creamy
- Add sugar, green chillies, coriander and boondi to the whisked curd
- Mix well and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving. Before serving, if the raita is too thick, go ahead and add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking
A lot of recipes recommend soaking the boondi in warm water for a couple of minutes before adding them to the curd to help soften them. But I prefer to add them directly into the curd as the boondi soaks up the curd pretty quickly, without becoming too soft or soggy.
The result? A light, creamy and ultra-refreshing boondi raita with crispy bits of boondi. While serving, I really like to sprinkle the raita with more boondi for texture and crunch. Plus it looks really pretty!
Serve this with
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
- 1 Cup Curd or greek yogurt
- ½ Teaspoon roasted Jeera Powder cumin powder
- ⅛ Teaspoon Sugar
- ¾ Teaspoon Rock Salt or kala namak
- 1 cup Boondi + ¼ cup extra for serving
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 pinch Chilli Powder optional
- Whisk together curd, jeera powder and salt in a bowl until smooth and has a creamy consistency.
- Add in 1 cup boondi, sugar, green chilli and coriander leaves and mix to combine. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the raita while serving - if its too thick, add a little water and mix.
- Sprinkle with remaining boondi and a pinch of chilli powder just before serving. It tastes best when served cold.