This quick and easy detox cabbage soup is vegetarian, healthy and perfect if you want to reset your system after the holidays. It can be served two ways – chunky or blended!
Don’t worry, we are not going on a diet here. And I’m not going to start sending you recipes for boiled vegetables. But I figured, after the holiday season, all of us need a factory reset and this is the recipe I turn to in the first week of Jan as I ease back into eating regular food again.
Yes, I am that person. Who needs a few days to get back to normal eating. Because we binge as December comes to a close. With friends, family. We open that last pack of chips, go out for almost every meal and bake endless cakes and cookies.
So when January creeps in and my body has had enough, I just start with this detox cabbage soup. I basically make a big batch that lasts us about 2-3 days. We snack on it on and off during the day, sometimes blended, sometimes chunky and finally start feeling like the junk is out of our system.
This may look like boiled vegetables but trust me, this soup can be healthy and TASTY. We add a bunch of veggies and herbs to make this full of flavour. Because there’s no place for boring food here.
Everything that goes into this soup is good for you and your body.
This detox cabbage soup is just a feel-good-soup. This is not a weight loss secret or a diet thing. It’s just tasty, healthy, vegetarian soup that’s easy to digest and light on your stomach.
Why cabbage for detox?
Cabbage has diuretic properties that helps get rid your body of excess liquid and toxins. It helps cleanse your liver and colon. Which is why cabbage forms the base for this detox cabbage soup.
If you are with me, make a big pot of this detox cabbage soup and give your body a little rest.
More Healthy Recipes
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Asian Cauliflower Rice
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Healthy Cauliflower Rice Broccoli Casserole
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (from scratch)
Watch Detox Cabbage Soup Recipe Video
Detox Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery diced
- 1/4 cup Carrots chopped
- 1.5 cups Cabbage chopped
- 1/4 cup Capsicum diced
- 1 cup Tomatoes diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 8-10 Fresh Basil leaves roughly torn
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Parsley chopped (for garnish)
- Stovetop Version
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add ginger and garlic, fry for 1/2 a minute. Add the onions and fry for another 1/2 a minute. Add the celery, the carrots, cabbage and capsicum and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and stock, bring to a boil and let simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Add the herbs, chilli flakes and pepper. Mix well. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley.
- Instant Pot Version
- Turn on saute mode on the instant pot and heat oil. Add ginger and garlic, fry for 1/2 a minute. Add the onions and fry for another 1/2 a minute. Add the celery, carrots, cabbage, capsicum, tomatoes, salt and stock. Lock the lid in place and shift the valve to sealing mode. Set high pressure for 2 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release pressure manually.
- Stir in the herbs, chilli flakes and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley.
- The soup can either be served as is. Or you can let it cool, blend it till smooth and serve it.