Homemade Creamy Vegetable Soup is an insanely delicious, creamy vegetable soup without any cream. It's perfect if you are looking for a vegetarian meal or just something light and easy.
Lets talk about this creamy vegetarian soup today because it is just as delicious as any meaty chicken soup you've had in your life. Its the perfect blend of light and easy when you want a quick, hearty meal.
This soup has old time memories. As soon as winter began, my mum would start whipping up all kinds of soups for us and this one always topped our list of requests! Its loaded with fresh winter veggies and makes every winter evening so so worth it.
I'm not even kidding you when I say that I make a potful which lasts the two of us at least three days - because I want this soup ALL THE TIME.
I know there are tons of 'cream of vegetable soup' cans out there and some of you probably grew up on that but this is the real deal guys. Its made entirely from scratch and has a velvety mouthful that's hard to beat.
Can you actually believe that there is no cream in the list of ingredients? Which is why I call this creamy vegetable soup light and easy. Its quick because vegetables cook really fast - you want them crunchy and light because all we do is create a roux with flour and milk which helps thicken the soup without piling on the calories.
My favourite vegetables are celery, carrots, beans, mushrooms and broccoli but go ahead and add peas, sweet potatoes, potatoes or even cauliflower. So this creamy vegetable soup can easily become 'everything but the kitchen sink vegetable soup'.
And if you absolutely absolutely want to add some meat, go ahead and add cooked shredded chicken or shrimp to this recipe and make it your very own cream of chicken soup.
Whatever you do, make this tonight because this light and delicious creamy vegetable soup will become your favourite comfort food.
I'm just over here with my bowl, slurping away for the night. Catch you in a bit! Pair this with our delicious Dominos Style Garlic Bread for a fantastic dinner!
More Vegetable Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Rosemary
- Creamy Cauliflower Chowder
- Roasted Tomato Pesto Soup
- Vegetarian Pho
- Detox Cabbage Soup
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Watch how to make Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe Video
Homemade Creamy Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Onions chopped
- ½ cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 cup Green Beans chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 teaspoon Thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt start with this amount and then taste and adjust
- ½ teaspoon ground Pepper
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet and add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes till the onions soften, making sure not to brown them. Add the garlic, beans, mushrooms, broccoli and corn and saute for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the thyme and oregano and add the flour.
- Add the flour along with thyme and oregano and cook the flour with veggies for a minute and a half. Add the whole milk slowly, while stirring continuously. Keep stirring while you bring this to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add salt and pepper and let everything simmer for 6-7 minutes or till the soup thickens. Add a little broth or more milk to thin it out if its too thick for you. Serve hot.
- You can use pre-cut or frozen veggies to make this soup even faster.
- Feel free to add half & half or cream if you prefer, in combination with the milk
- To make this soup non vegetarian, add some cooked chicken, ham or shrimp towards the end
- To make this into a meal, you can also add cooked pasta to the soup
- You can use corn flour to thicken the soup instead of all purpose flour. In this case, skip the step of adding the flour. Make a corn flour slurry and add it in the end to thicken the soup.
This post was first published on December 17, 2017 and updated on January 7, 2020 with a new video and images. The recipe is perfect as is so no changes were made to it!