Learn how to make this homemade Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew which is made from start to finish in an electric pressure cooker. This really takes the guesswork out of making a hearty, flavorful beef stew and leaves with you tender, fall apart beef chunks in a thick, tasty brown sauce. Its healthy, can be made gluten free and simple!
Seriously, that luscious gravy gets me hungry every single time I look at that picture. If you read my last post, then you know that we made a life changing shift and moved to a small town called Auroville. This is actually the first real meal I cooked here. Because we both love a good beef stew. For us, it has to be thick, hearty, full of carrots, mushrooms and potatoes and tender, fall apart chunks of beef. And this easy instant pot beef stew is ALL OF that!
We are still setting up the kitchen and things are still in boxes. How long is too long to finish unpacking? Are we the only ones who has boxes that lie around unpacked for weeks? But my Instant Pot came with us in the car when we were moving. And it has kept us fed the last couple of days!
This recipe is incredible easy. I’d say the only tough part is browning the beef, which is something that you should get right. I prefer doing everything in the IP (use the saute function) even if I have to do it in batches, but you can always brown the beef in a pan and add it to the Instant Pot if that’s easier for you.
Cooking Notes for Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
Here are some things you should know/ can help when you start making this recipe:
How to brown beef? Browning beef before you add everything else for a beef stew helps lock in the flavors. To brown beef, heat a little oil or butter to the pot and add beef chunks. Make sure not to overcrowd the pot or the beef will start to steam instead of browning properly. Sear the meat on high heat till its a light golden brown. The idea is to only sear and not cook the beef completely. I like to saute it in batches in the Instant Pot but you can always brown it in a pan if thats what you are comfortable with and add it to the IP or pressure cooker.
What vegetables can I use for Beef Stew? We love using carrots, mushrooms, celery and potatoes because they stand under pressure and don’t completely disintegrate. But I love using beans and green peas too. Actually, any hearty winter vegetables will work.
How does the Instant Pot cook Beef Stew so quickly? Basically the Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker helps cook things faster and more evenly by creating pressure in a sealed environment. The steam that is created helps meat, lentils and other things cook much faster than a stovetop, slow cooker or oven.
How do you thicken up beef stew? I like to use flour to thicken up this easy instant pot beef stew, but if you want this to be gluten free, you can substitute the all purpose flour with cornflour.
If you are in the mood, serve these over my Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Seriously never going back to making this any other way. Because this easy instant pot beef stew is the shizzz!
Watch Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew Video Recipe (Step by Step)
Here’s the Instant Pot that I use in case you want to check it out: Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
- Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoons Butter
- 500 grams Beef Chunks
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Pearl Onions or regular Onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 Carrots thickly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup Celery chopped
- 3/4 cup Mushrooms halved
- 2-3 Potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup low sodium Chicken or Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Cornflour for GF
- Turn on the Saute function on your and heat butter. Add the beef chunks so as not to overcrowd the pan. Sprinkle with salt and butter and brown the beef on high. You can do this in batches too. Try not to move the beef around too much so that they brown faster. Alternatively, you can brown the beef in a pan and add it to the Instant Pot.
- Add the pearl onions and garlic to the beef and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, more salt and 3/4 cup chicken broth. Place the lid, turn the vent to sealing and set on meat/stew for 35 minutes. Once the timer goes off and the stew is cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually. You can also let all the pressure release naturally if you have time.
- Whisk the flour in the remaining stock and add it to the stew. Switch on the saute function and let the stew simmer for 5 minutes or so till it thickens. Serve over mashed potatoes. Try this .
Life in Auroville
It’s been a week since we moved to Auroville and life is just like that. Lazy, quiet and a looong stretch! BTW, this is Leela, one of the two dogs who has adopted us already ❤️ She is adorable and loves sneaking up on my seat when I’m not looking.
Other Instant Pot Recipes you may like: