While we’ve been trying to eat healthy all week with our Mexican Tortilla Bean Soup and Spinach Heirloom Tomato Salad making a regular appearance, Saturday’s deserve something special. And this Mutton Keema is an absolute favorite! It’s spicy, loaded with flavor and impossible not to ask for a second helping.
We usually make a big batch which lasts us through the weekend. Indian curries always taste better the next day and this one is no exception.
I also love using leftover keema to make samosas, stuff them in parathas or flatbreads or just top them with an egg for a delicious breakfast.
I’m going to run away now, to mop this keema up with some naan, while you go and make this for lunch today. If you try this out, take a picture will ya? Post it on Instagram and tag them #myfoodstories and I’ll be reposting my favorites every week.
Spicy, flavorful Mutton Keema recipe. Goes best with naan, rice or bread. Leftovers are great for keema samosas or stuffed kulchas.
- 500 g Mutton (Mince)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 pods Cardamom
- 4 – 5 Cloves
- 2 Chilies (Green , finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ginger Garlic (paste)
- 2 Onions (large , finely chopped)
- 3 Tomatoes (large , finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (Red)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (Powder)
- 1/4 cup Tomato (Puree)
- 1 Potato (large , cubed)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- to taste Salt
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (chopped)
- Heat ghee in a large pan or kadhai and add all the whole spices.
- Once they start sputtering, add the green chilies, ginger garlic paste and onions. Cook till the onions caramelize and become a light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, all the ground spices except garam masala and salt to the pan.Saute till tomatoes have cooked through and start becoming pasty.
- Add the minced lamb, garam masala powder, tomato puree, potatoes, green peas and one and a half cups of water. Bring this to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer till the potatoes are cooked through and most of the water has evaporated.
- Check for seasoning and stir in chopped coriander. Top with lime wedges, butter and chopped coriander before serving.