Baked firecracker chicken meatballs are juicy, spicy and saucy! This easy appetizer is perfect for holiday parties. Each meatball is super tender and full of flavour.
Spicy, juicy and full of dhamaka – that’s what these easy firecracker chicken meatballs are! I’m dipping my fingers in that sauce as I write because it’s so irresistible. And definitely the star here. Because what’s life without an extra spicy sauce that almost burns your mouth but cannot be resisted.
I created this recipe because we love meatballs and I wanted them to feature on our Diwali menu for this year. When I tested this recipe, and tried out the sauce they were immediately christened Firecracker Chicken Meatballs because they are a BOMB in your mouth.
These meatballs are made with a basic mixture of minced chicken, panko breadcrumbs, eggs, seasoning and lots of garlic. But my secret ingredient that makes these extra juicy is grated parmesan. It’s not melty cheesy but it adds a lovely flavor, binds and add little pockets of cheese that make these meatballs really soft.
There are a few different ways you can enjoy these meatballs. You can either make the sauce on the side and dip these as you go, or you can toss these in the sauce and simmer them for a few minutes like I do, or you can brush them with the sauce and bake them for a few minutes. I’ve tried them all three ways – yes that’s how many times these meatballs have been made so far – and I love them every way!
I like to balance the spice here with a glass of Chenin Blanc from Big Banyan. The Chenin Blanc has a fruity aroma of yellow apple, white lemon and peach and the mild sweetness and acidity in the wine works really well with these spicy firecracker chicken meatballs. In fact, I don’t think you should ever try these without a chilled glass of this wine. The pairing is absolutely stunning and you’ll be wanting a sip after every few bites.
I think our Diwali menu is looking pretty good now. We now have firecracker meatballs, three cheese samosas and lavender white chocolate truffles that are absolutely divine. Pair a different wine with each of these to feel like you have arrived!
More Chicken Appetizer Recipes:
- Sticky Thai Meatballs
- Chicken Lollipop
- Crunchy Korean Popcorn Chicken
- Thai Basil Chicken
- Drums of Heaven
- Chicken Wings
Baked Firecracker Chicken Meatballs (Juicy, Spicy and Saucy)
- 1 kg Ground Chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Egg
- ¾ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup Parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Olive Oil for brushing
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Jalapeno sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Place a rack on a tray and brush it with oil.
- Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs except oil. Do not overmix because that will result in drier meatballs. Using your hands to mix is the best way as it helps determine when the ingredients are combined. Shape the mixture into meatballs - about 2 tablespoons per meatball and place them on the rack, making sure that they don't touch each other. Brush with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Firecracker Sauce: Heat all the ingredients for the sauce except jalapenos in a pan and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer for 6-8 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Right at the end add the jalapenos (if using) and switch off the flame.
- Tossing them together: Once the meatballs are baked, add them to the sauce and toss everything together. There will be extra sauce in the pan, which you can remove separately and serve on the side.
- You can prepare the meatball mixture the night before and refrigerate it
- Ground chicken can be swapped with ground turkey or pork
- I love using panko breadcrumbs which are a variety of japanese breadcrumbs, but these can be swapped with regular or gluten free breadcrumbs.
Thank you to our friends at Big Banyan Wines for sponsoring this post and making wines that we love pairing with these baked firecracker chicken meatballs.