A sauce makes or breaks any dish and this 30 Minute Red Tomato Sauce for Pasta and Pizza is here to remind you the importance of basics! You can store this chunky sauce in the refrigerator for later use or freeze it!
Today I’m teaching you something really simple – how to make a basic red sauce for pasta and pizza in 30 minutes. Are you going to stop following this little food blog because we are going so basic? Don’t judge me for this, but I think basic is important. And my discerning food blogger palate can’t always tell the difference between an arrabiata and marinara. It’s also important because we are always craving pizza. And pasta is our favorite quick meal right? And if you have a jar of this basic pizza and pasta red sauce tucked away in your fridge, life would be so simple. And so complete.
I can’t do without this recipe. Because it’s so quick, and so easy. And takes only 30 minutes for a really chunky, really flavorful, all purpose basic red sauce. That’s something we all need to know. I couldn’t keep this secret recipe to myself. My mum has been making red sauce this way all her life, and I love the burst of flavors. Perfect for making a simple bowl of spaghetti come alive.
I make a really large quantity and just store it in the fridge or freeze it for later. Because you never know when the craving for pasta or pizza strikes. It’s saved us so many times from picking up the phone and ordering that I can’t even…
For something like this to work, it’s really important that you use good quality ingredients. They have to be the best you can get your hands on, and the freshest. I love opening my best bottle of extra virgin olive oil, and getting the reddest ripe tomatoes from the market. It only takes 30 minutes for this sauce, so you have some extra time for shopping, right?
Spread this up on pizza as your base sauce, or mix it up with some veggies for some pasta. A healthy dose of parmesan is a must. But this sauce is so all purpose that you won’t need anything else. Except extra cheese.
Learn how to make the most basic, all purpose Red Tomato Sauce for pastas and pizzas. Only takes 30 minutes, is one pan and you’ll be left with the most flavorful Italian red sauce!
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (large, finely chopped)
- 6 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon Basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili (Flakes)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 6 – 7 Tomatoes (large , finely chopped)
- Heat oil in a saucepan, and add onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes and add garlic, dried oregano, dried basil and chili flakes. Saute for a minute and add tomatoes, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup warm water. Turn the heat down to low, cover and let the sauce simmer for 25 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- The tomatoes should have broken down considerably. Check the sauce for seasoning and adjust if required. Switch off the flame.
- Use immediately for pizza, or let it cool completely before storing it in containers. This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for up to a month. While storing the sauce in the refrigerator use the smallest possible container, top with olive oil and store.