Taco lovers! Here’s a new recipe for you! These Healthy Oats Crusted Fish Tacos served with a Mango Salsa are healthy and burst with flavors. Say bye-bye to flour or bread crumbs coatings and hello to oats that taste great and make sure you hear that crunch. Make these for a fuss-free week day dinner!
It’s time for some tacoooooos! Presenting – HEALTHY oats crusted fish tacos with spicy mango salsa for all you taco lovers and fish lovers and mango lovers and health freaks. I’m combining all my favorite things in this ONE recipe!
I’m not the first one to come up with oats crusted fish, but this brainwave stuck the first time at an event organized by Saffola Oats where I won during a recipe cook off against a bunch of 24 bloggers. We were given a challenge to use one of Saffola’s instant oats in a recipe. I was pretty sure I didn’t want to use them in cooked form, and since their instant oats come in some fantastic flavors – masala, italian, chinese which are pre-seasoned it seemed like the perfect choice to crust fish with oats and serve.
This way I wasn’t using bread crumbs or flour which are higher in calories but opting for a slightly healthier option which looked good, tasted great, added the perfect crunch to a soft, flaky piece of fish and cut down the need for any extra ingredients! That’s what makes these tacos so amazing as well!
I made them for dinner last night and they disappeared in minutes. I love days when we are doing something as chilled out as tacos for dinner. They make dinner so fuss – free and so much fun. Tuesday night felt like Friday night with tacos and beer!
These tacos literally take 15 minutes from start to finish, including any prep work that you may have to do. And if you are a major taco lover, also try out my friend Shadi’s Chicken Butternut Squash Tacos which I’m planning to make for dinner tonight. It’s just an excuse to use up leftover Tortillas
If you are still not convinced here are 5 reasons to make these oats crusted fish tacos and top them with mango salsa:
1. They take 15 minutes from start to finish and need exactly 7 minutes of cooking
2. They make summer bearable because of the freshest, tangiest mango salsa in the world
3. They are HEALTHY and ONE PAN
4. No mess and totally fuss free soft tacos which are my favorite
5. Perfect weeknight dinner for 2 if you are a small family like us, but can easily be doubled or tripled
For Vegetarians: If you are vegetarian, just replace fish with tofu, paneer or even cauliflower.
This recipe for super easy, healthy oats crusted fish tacos takes ONLY 15 mins. Use cod, tilapia, red snapper or any other white fish and top with cilantro mango salsa for extra zing!
- 6 Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons (Oil)
- 500 grams Fish Fillet (I used Red Snapper but you can use Cod
- 1 Egg
- 2 packets Masala (40 g each) Saffola Oats (and Coriander flavor)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (Fresh and sliced Jalapenos for topping)
- 2 Mangoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/4 cup Capsicum (diced)
- 1/4 cup Onions (diced)
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Coriander (1 tablespoon Chopped)
- The first step is to make the mango salsa. Combine all the ingredients under mango salsa and refrigerate while you prepare everything else for the tacos.
- Cut fish fillets into bite sized pieces and place them in a plate. Whisk together the egg and salt in a separate bowl. In another plate, empty content of the flavored saffola instant oat packets. Now you’ll have three dishes in front of you – one with fish, one with egg and one with oats.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Dip each piece of fish in egg first and then coat it with oats and slide them one by one into the pan. Cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes each and remove on a plate lined with tissues.
- To assemble, warm tacos on an open flame and divide fish pieces and mango salsa equally between them. Top with sliced jalapenos and fresh coriander. Serve with a mug of beer!