This One Pot Mexican Rice and Sausages was a happy accident one night when I didn't know what to make for dinner. Its spicy, smokey and hits all the right notes. The best part is you don't need a ton of dishes and everything gets cooked together in one pan.
I definitely feel that a lot of amazing recipes are a result of happy accidents, when you dump things in a pot and wait for the magic to happen. Which is exactly what happened with us one night when we we got home late and couldn't figure out what to cook for dinner.
I found a half pack of Pork sausages, some slightly old bell peppers and tomato paste. The good thing is my spice rack is always well stocked. About 30 minutes later, we were wiping the pan clean.
This one pot mexican rice and sausages with bell peppers is now on our dinner table once every 2-3 weeks and we haven't got bored of it yet!
Sausages you can use for Mexican Rice
I believe substitutes can definitely work for this recipe. You can use vegetarian, chicken, pork or beef sausages here. I wouldn't recommend using Italian sausages because they are packed with spices and we are already adding quite a few when we cook this dish. You can also use chicken breast, paneer (or cottage cheese) or beans instead of sausages if that's what you have on hand.
Short Grain vs Long Grain rice for Mexican Rice
I've tried making this recipe multiple times with both. I basically use whatever I have on hand. In the pictures above, I've used short grain rice, but in the video below, you'll see that I made this with basmati rice. The cooking times will vary for both, so just keep that in mind.
Load this up with veggies
There have been times when I've added a lot of veggies to this. I've used broccoli, carrots, beans and even mushrooms and we've loved it every single time. If you want to make this 100% vegetarian, switch up the sausages with tofu, potatoes or paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
So get on with it! Brown some sausages, toss it up with onions, garlic, tomato paste and spices and dump the rice in. This is so easy that after the first time, you'll be making this like a boss!
More Mexican Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Corn and Peppers
- Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Prawn Avocado Taco Salad
- Tortilla Bean Soup
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Lunch Bowls
- Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos
Watch One Pot Mexican Rice and Sausages Recipe Video
One Pot Mexican Rice and Sausages
- 5-6 Pork Sausages Dice them into ½ inch rounds.
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 cup Long grain Rice or Basmati soaked
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1 cup Bell Peppers sliced
- Heat butter in a pan and sauté the sausages till they are golden brown and crispy.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste oregano, paprika, chipotle pepper, cumin and salt and cook this for two more minutes.
- Add soaked, drained rice along with water, mix and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till the rice is 90% cooked through.
- Top with bell peppers and cover again. This will help steam the bell peppers.
- Mix it all up and serve hot topped with sour cream.
- Pork Sausage Substitutions: You can use vegetarian, chicken, pork or beef sausages here. I wouldn't recommend using Italian sausages because they are packed with spices and we are already adding quite a few when we cook this dish.
- Variations: You can also use chicken breast, paneer (or cottage cheese) or beans instead of sausages if that's what you have on hand.
- Short Grain vs Long Grain rice: This recipe works for both. I basically use whatever I have on hand. The cooking times will vary for both, so just keep that in mind.
- If you want to make this 100% vegetarian, switch up the sausages with tofu, potatoes or paneer (Indian cottage cheese).