Kick in the cozy season with this Homestyle Barley Chicken fall soup that is an ideal companion for when you want to laze around. Chicken and mushrooms, when put together, can never disappoint and this recipe is here to show you that! If the feeling of comfort had a face, it would look like a bowl of this soup that tastes best when left alone to simmer for a while.
I love this time of the year. Warm afternoons turn into chilly evenings, you feel like pulling the sweaters out but then realize that you like the slight nip in the air, and just want to snuggle up on the sofa with some comfort food. And that’s why this home style barley chicken fall soup.
It’s one of those soups, which just keep simmering on the pot and get slightly better if left alone. So you can go away and watch trashy TV shows (not me) or snack on leftover bacon and then realize you finished all of it (not me) or go for a quick run (definitely not me) and come back to this warm, home style goodness. I love how the soup simmers till the barley cooks, and takes on all the wonderful flavors of chicken, carrots and mushrooms. It’s not your usual chicken soup where everything is a mish mash. The barley is creamy but firm, and the veggies have a nice bite to them. Add whatever you have in the fridge and if you are vegetarian, just skip the chicken altogether.
Honestly I can’t wait for winter to set in. I’m sure Denver’s rolling his eyes somewhere, because he knows that I’m going to crib and crib about the cold. I’m not a big fan of cold weather, but I love the colorful sweaters and scarves, the steaming cup of hot chocolate, the piping hot jalebis that I know mom will feed me when I visit home, and the beautiful colors.
This soup is just the kind of thing that makes you feel that fall is here and winters slowly creeping in on us. So if you are ready for a cozy snuggle, and dying to get the sweaters out, go and make this soup first! Let’s welcome fall together.
More Healthy Chicken Soups For The Soul:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Thai Chicken Curry
- Homemade Chicken Manchow Soup
- Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
Homestyle Barley Chicken Fall Soup
- 1 Chicken Breast Full
- 3/4 cup Barley Pearl
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Green Chili finely chopped
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 6 - 7 cups Water or Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 3/4 cup Spinach chopped
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Bacon Fried and Cream for topping
- Cut the chicken into tiny bite sized pieces and keep aside.
- In a deep pot, add butter, garlic and onions. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes, add chicken, barley and 4 cups water. Let this simmer for 35-40 minutes till the barley is almost cooked.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, salt, pepper and the remaining water or stock. Cook this for 20 minutes till the vegetables are cooked through. Mix together milk and flour till there are no lumps and add this mixture to the soup. Bring it to quick boil while stirring continuously and add spinach. Add a little more stock or water if you'd like to thin out the soup. Simmer for five minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let the soup sit for 15 minutes before serving. Top with fried bacon bits and a dollop of cream.