I love this time of the year. Warm afternoons turn into chilly evenings, you feel like pulling the sweaters out but then realize that you like the slight nip in the air, and just want to snuggle up on the sofa with some comfort food. And that’s why this home style barley chicken fall soup.
It’s one of those soups, which just keep simmering on the pot and get slightly better if left alone. So you can go away and watch trashy TV shows (not me) or snack on leftover bacon and then realize you finished all of it (not me) or go for a quick run (definitely not me) and come back to this warm, home style goodness. I love how the soup simmers till the barley cooks, and takes on all the wonderful flavors of chicken, carrots and mushrooms. It’s not your usual chicken soup where everything is a mish mash. The barley is creamy but firm, and the veggies have a nice bite to them. Add whatever you have in the fridge and if you are vegetarian, just skip the chicken altogether.
Honestly I can’t wait for winter to set in. I’m sure Denver’s rolling his eyes somewhere, because he knows that I’m going to crib and crib about the cold. I’m not a big fan of cold weather, but I love the colorful sweaters and scarves, the steaming cup of hot chocolate, the piping hot jalebis that I know mom will feed me when I visit home, and the beautiful colors.
This soup is just the kind of thing that makes you feel that fall is here and winters slowly creeping in on us. So if you are ready for a cozy snuggle, and dying to get the sweaters out, go and make this soup first! Let’s welcome fall together.
Homestyle creamy barley chicken fall soup is the perfect comfort food, full of flavors and vegetables and hearty enough for dinner.
- 1 Chicken Breast (Full)
- 3/4 cup Barley (Pearl)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped Garlic (finely)
- 1 Green Chili (finely chopped)
- 2 Onions (finely chopped)
- 6 – 7 cups Water (or Chicken Stock)
- 1 1/2 cups Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup Carrots (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Spinach (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Bacon (Fried and Cream for topping)
- Cut the chicken into tiny bite sized pieces and keep aside.
- In a deep pot, add butter, garlic and onions. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes, add chicken, barley and 4 cups water. Let this simmer for 35-40 minutes till the barley is almost cooked.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, salt, pepper and the remaining water or stock. Cook this for 20 minutes till the vegetables are cooked through. Mix together milk and flour till there are no lumps and add this mixture to the soup. Bring it to quick boil while stirring continuously and add spinach. Add a little more stock or water if you’d like to thin out the soup. Simmer for five minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let the soup sit for 15 minutes before serving. Top with fried bacon bits and a dollop of cream.
If you are vegetarian, just skip the bacon and chicken altogether. You may have to adjust the timings and water
Adjust the amount of stock based on the consistency you like
Leftovers keep for a few days in the fridge and taste just as good the next day