This steaming hot bowl of Chicken Manchow Soup is another one of our Chinese Restaurant redos! It’s hot and spicy and will warm you up for sure! Here’s how to make Manchow soup in 30 minutes.
I get so nostalgic when I make Manchow Soup. It reminds me of all the times we would meet up after classes, head to the shadiest street chinese stall in the neighborhood and order bowls of this soup. Because it was perfect and he’d give us unlimited fried noodles to top every bowl with.
This manchow soup recipe comes pretty darn close to the street style one, aaaand you can tuck in under a blanket and watch Netflix all day and drink bowls and bowls of this soup.
With most Chinese food, the prep takes longer than the actual cooking time and that’s true for this soup as well. Apart from that, this soup is super easy and comes together in under 30 minutes.
Prep the Veggies
Manchow soup is usually LOADED with crunchy veggies. And we’ve done just that. There’s a whole list of veggies that you’ll need to finely chop (see recipe card below). This is literally the only time consuming part of this recipe. If you have a food processor or chopper, this task becomes super easy too. It’s important to make sure that the veggies are the same size so that they cook evenly.
Once the chopping is done, lightly fry the onions and white spring onions with minced ginger and garlic. Then add the rest of the veggies and water and bring it to a boil.
Use chicken breast in this recipe. Cut the chicken into small pieces so they cook evenly along with the onions.You can make this soup with or without the chicken. Veg manchow soup is just as satisfying as the chicken variant!
The Manchow Sauce Mix
It’s amazing how such delicious flavours come from a simple concoction such as this! The base flavours for the manchow soup comes from making a mixture of cornflour, pepper, vinegar, soy sauce and water. Add these ingredients in a bowl and whisk till there are no lumps (measurements given in recipe card). The corn flour thickens the soup and vinegar and soy sauce bring in those distinct Chicken Manchow Soup flavours. Add this mixture to the pot of boiled veggies and allow it to simmer. You will see the soup getting thicker and that’s exactly how we want it!
Secret Manchow Soup Ingredients
The two secret ingredients which give this Chicken Manchow Soup that amazing street style Chinese flavour are chopped green chillies and a little chopped coriander (forgot to add it in the video but its noted in the recipe). It’s not authentic at all but it’s what will transport you to your favourite Chinese restaurant.
Manchow soup without crispy fried noodles is like a good biryani without raita. The chinese stall guy would give us unlimited servings of these crispy fried noodles and that’s how one should eat Manchow soup!! Add chopped spring onions right at the end,for freshness and crunch.
See how to make Fried Noodles for Manchow Soup!
Serve this soup piping hot with the fried noodles and you have the perfect bowl! Manchow soup also makes for great leftovers!
How about a spicy appetizer like Chilli Chicken Dry or Crispy Tofu Stir Fry to go with it? Love this recipe? Leave a comment below!
More asian soups that’ll warm you up:
- Chinese Hot and Sour Soup with Ramen
- Spicy Thai Curry Pumpkin Noodle Soup
- Vegetarian Pho Soup (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Thai Ginger Carrot Soup in a Pressure Cooker
Watch Chicken Manchow Soup Recipe Video
This recipe was first published on July 18, 2016 and updated on 23 November, 2020 with a new step by step video and pictures and no changes to the recipe
Homemade Chicken Manchow Soup
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped Garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped Ginger
- 1-2 chopped Green Chilli
- ½ cup white part of Spring Onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped Onions
- 1 Chicken Breast diced into half inch or smaller pieces
- 1 cup Carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup Green Beans finely chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage chopped
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dark Soy Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Powder
- 3 tablespoons Corn Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Crunchy Fried Noodles for topping
- ½ cup green part of Spring Onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot heat oil and add ginger, garlic, white part of spring onions and onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes and add the chicken breast.
- Chicken breast will cook fairly quickly. Saute it for a minute or so on high heat and add carrots, green beans, mushroom and cabbage along with salt and 3 cups water. Bring this to a quick boil and then reduce the flame to a simmer.
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, corn flour and ½ cup water till no lumps are visible. Add this to the pot and keep stirring till the soup thickens up. Add green chillies and simmer for 2 minutes. Mix in the green part of spring onions and chopped coriander. Turn off the flame.
- Top individual servings with fried noodles and serve hot.
- The nutritional information above does not include fried noodles
- Vegetarian Manchow Soup: Skip the chicken if you want a vegetarian version and add diced tofu right in the end instead
- Fried Noodles: I have a great recipe for making crunchy fried noodles at home. This soup just isn't the same without them
- Variations: Make this soup with shrimp instead of chicken. You can also add in a beaten egg in the ending and cook for a minute or two.
PRajakta pAwar says
Quick and easy ..
Dayita Sengupta says
Loved the recipe! Just like good restaurant.
Tried this recipe and it turned out amazing! It's super simple and super tasty!
I tried this recipe..was really yummy..loved it😋
Richa Gupta says
Thanks, Riya! This is one of our favourite soup recipes.
Yesss!! This soup tastes exactly like a restaurant one! Perfect mix of health and deliciousness in a bowl. Thanks to Richa, this soup is a favorite for our family!!
Richa Gupta says
Happy to hear that, Shompa! Thanks a lot 🙂
I think 3 tblspoon of corn flour made the soup too thick, Also I think garnish of green part of spring onion made the soup a little bitter. Adding a little cilantro in end may also give it good flavour, Rest all is ok .
Thanks for the feedback Ruth. If the soup is too thick, just add a little water and simmer it till you have the right consistency.
I tried this recipe..just loved it😋😋
Richa Gupta says
Hey Riya! Glad you liked this manchow soup recipe.
Made it for dinner and the whole family loved it.