This creamy slow cooker chicken barley soup is made healthier by replacing rice or noodles with barley. It’s easy, uses whole ingredients and is perfect for your crockpot. It is what pure comfort food is made of!
New gadget alert guys! And the first thing I made is this Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup, in my brand new…err slow cooker! Slow Cookers are insanely expensive to buy in India so I made my little sister lug it all the way from Dubai. In return I’ve promised to fatten her up when she comes to Bangalore. Fair trade right?
Honestly, I bought this mother of a slow cooker because slow cooker recipes kept popping up on my Pinterest feed and all those recipes looked sooooo good and insanely easy. And we are all about the easy recipes right? It just sounded like the perfect addition to My Food Story’s gadget family and I couldn’t resist.
But I also know that a lot of you might not own a slow cooker yet, and wait, I’m going to make a case for it. Slow and steady folks. But till then, I know you may still want to try the recipes, but not in a slow cooker. So I’ve decided to start sharing recipes that are already on the blog like this homestyle barley chicken fall soup and adapt it to a slow cooker if you happen to have one or get an unstoppable urge to go buy one right now!
Either way, you can absolutely make this creamy slow cooker chicken barley soup in a crockpot or on the stove. I’m giving you both options so that you don’t lose out.
And to make things easier I have a slow cooker chicken barley soup video all ready for you! Hi five peeps!
Watch Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup Recipe Video
I know you must be thinking, now she’s trying to get us to buy another gadget. How uncool! And where am I going to keep this thing? So here’s the thing about owning a slow cooker for busy people like us
- It’s a set it and forget it tool, which lets you watch Netflix while your food is cooking without you having to worry about anything burning
- Or dump all the ingredients and leave for work, and come back to cooked food that might need another one or two final ingredients just to finish things up. I’m talking some serious hunger saving tips here
- It also means the most tender, fall apart meat that takes almost zero effort to achieve. And if you are a non cook and want to impress your friends, this my friend, is going to be your best friend
- If you aren’t a winter person and just want to hibernate as soon as winter sets in and never set foot in the kitchen, just place this slow cooker near your bed every morning, dump all the ingredients, leave for work, come back get straight into bed and you have food ready on your bedside table. Like this slow cooker chicken barley soup which is ready by the time we are back home in the evening
I know you need time to mull over things a bit. But slow cooker or now, make this creamy, hearty chicken barley soup to welcome winter in.
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup
- 1 cup thickly sliced Carrots
- 1 cup diced Celery
- 1 cup quartered Mushrooms
- 2 Chicken Breasts diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1 cup Pearl Barley washed and strained
- 5 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour or Maida
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- Salt to taste
- Fried Bacon for topping
- In a slow cooker or crockpot, add carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken, garlic, jalapenos, oregano, basil, barley, chicken stock and salt. Stir well, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and milk, and once the soup is cooked, mix in the flour and milk mixture. Cook on high for 20 minutes
- Add spinach to the slow cooker and mix well. Turn off the slow cooker, and let the soup sit for ten minutes. Top with bacon and serve hot!
If you don’t own a slow cooker and would like to make this soup on the stovetop, here’s the recipe: