Indian Masala Egg French Toast is for when you’re craving something spicy for breakfast! The bread is coated with whisked egg batter and cooked to give the crispiest toast that tastes like crisp, fried egg!
If the french are reading this, please forgive me. But this Indian Masala French Toast is something you guys should try. Maybe you’ll never go back to the sweet variety, though I love that too.
This is my favorite breakfast when I’m in the mood for something spicy. And I’m sure every Indian home has their own way of making this, but guys, you have to try this version. It’s exactly how my mum makes it and trust me no other masala french toast compares to this version!
I have sooo many memories of getting up on Sunday mornings and demanding this masala french toast. We’d sit around the kitchen table, while mum fried slices of bread dipped in a spicy egg mixture till the sides were crisp and lacy, almost reminding you of a crisp fried egg. She’d add lots of onions, ginger, green chilies, tomato and coriander with chili powder and beat the egg mixture till it became light and foamy. Lots of hot oil in the pan, so that the bread would sizzle and spit. She’d slide them on to our plates one by one. Waiting our turn till we got the next one was pure agony.
I used to love mine drizzled with lots of tomato ketchup then, but that changed along the way. I still fry mine in oil, but now use a cast iron skillet instead of a non stick pan, because I love how crisp it makes the french toasts. Ketchup has been replaced with nothing these days. And a hot cup of coffee has replaced the tall glass of milk that mum insisted on.
What hasn’t changed is that I still request masala french toast every time I go back home. She now has an extra mouth to feed with Denver joining the masala-french-toast-loving-club. But I know mom, she loves every bit of it!
BTW, she’s coming to visit next week and is going to stay for TEN whole days. You have no idea how excited I am. Plus all that food that she’s going to make. I’ll share some with you guys, I promise.
More Egg Breakfasts:
- Street Style Egg Bhurji (Anda Bhurji)
- Garlic Oats with Masala Fried Egg
- Indian Masala Omelette Frittata
- Baked Denver Omelet Breakfast Casserole
Indian Masala Egg French Toast
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Oil
- 5 Wholewheat slices of Bread
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder Red
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Onion medium sized , finely chopped
- 2 Chilies Green , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 Tomato small , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coriander chopped
- Whisk together eggs, chili powder and salt in a flat vessel which has enough space to soak 1-2 slices of bread. Add onion, green chilies, ginger paste, tomatoes and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or non stick pan.
- Soak each slice of the bread in the egg mixture for 5 seconds on each side and slide it into the pan. You can top the slices with some onions and tomatoes from the egg mixture. Cook the bread on each side for 5-7 minutes on medium heat till they are crisp from the outside and cooked through.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green chutney.