This potato cabbage fry is a game changer. Because cabbage is not a popular vegetable, but you make it this way and you'll change your mind! Called patta gobhi aloo sabzi in India, its easy, fresh and wholesome.
When I think of a list of vegetables I don't like, cabbage is pretty near the top of the list. And there's literally only three ways I'll eat it. One is my detox cabbage soup and I prefer the blended version, the other is oven roasted cabbage and the third is this potato cabbage fry.
Here's the thing. Lots of people think Indian food is complicated but this here is an example of how you can make easy, tasty, healthy Indian vegetarian food in less than 30 minutes. You don't need much. Just a few spices, oil, veggies, salt. You toss everything around, let it steam in its own juices and you are done!
My version of potato cabbage fry is a mix of everything. I love using curry leaves which I think is hands down the best herb in the world. And I also like sprinkling grated coconut in the end. You can use frozen coconut if thats what you can find. Just thaw it in some water and sprinkle it as soon as you turn the flame off.
You can try this method with most vegetables. In fact this is really the base of a lot of Indian side dishes.
Shredding cabbage for this recipe
Shredding cabbage is probably going to be the most time consuming task here. I love using my knife, but the easiest way would be to shred cabbage is with a mandoline.
Cut the potatoes into small pieces, ¼ inch in size so that they cook along with the cabbage. Any larger and you'll be left with cooked cabbage and raw potatoes.
More Quick Sabzi Recipes:
- Quick Aloo Pyaz Sabzi (Potato Fry)
- Vegetable Jalfrezi – Restaurant Style!
- Easy Bhindi Masala
- Dhaba Dal Tadka
- Authentic Dhaba Style Dal Fry
Watch Potato Cabbage Fry Recipe Video
Potato Cabbage Fry (Patta gobhi aloo sabzi)
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
- 2 Green chillies / serrano peppers slit lengthwise
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Onions finely chopped
- 1 Cabbage head (approx 550 grams) shredded thinly
- 2 Potatoes medium sized ,peeled and chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder / paprika
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Green peas
- ¼ cup Coconut grated (optional)
- Heat oil in a large kadhai or wok and add mustard seeds, ginger, chillies and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard starts sputtering add onions. Stir fry for two minutes and add cabbage and potatoes, along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well, and then cover and cook on a low flame for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice in between.
- Add the green peas, mix well and cook again for 5-7 minutes till the potatoes are tender. Turn off the flame, top with grated coconut and serve immediately.
- Shredding cabbage: You can use a knife or a mandoline to shred the cabbage
- Potatoes: Make sure to cut the potatoes into small pieces or they won't cook as fast as the cabbage
- Green peas and coconut: You can use frozen green peas and coconut in this recipe. Just thaw them in room temperature water for a couple of minutes before adding them