Here’s an appetizer that looks and tastes like a tropical summer! These Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders with Mango Mustard Sauce are going to raise your appetizer menu bar really high and will be a hit with kids and adults! Whats more- they’re gluten free!
Has it really been a week since I posted a new recipe for you guys? I’m hiding below my pillow but please don’t be mad. Because these baked coconut chicken tenders with mango mustard dipping sauce are going to make up for everything. And because I’ve been on an amazing trip sponsored by Teabox all the waaaaaay in Assam and that’s where this post is coming from!
I’m going to tell you all about my trip and how I’ve been travelling through Assam sampling the food, the culture and the beautiful teas as soon as I’m back. And if you’ve been following me on Snapchat (my_foodstory) you already know what I’ve been up to! But today let’s quickly talk about why you need to make these baked coconut chicken tenders STAT!
Remember the best ever dipping sauce from last week which was a crazy combination of mango and mustard? Ummm these baked coconut chicken tenders and that mango mustard sauce were kinda made for each other. Because it’s all so tropical and so fresh and so summery. Because you want a little bit of summer even when it’s not and this combination will keep you feeling happy and sunny all year long!
Plus it’s baked, so heaaaaaalthy and is dipped in a spicy coconut mixture which sort of crisps up in the oven and gives you that amazing golden crust that all chicken tenders must have!
I’m telling you, right this minute, I almost wish I was back home with a mug of beer, feet up on the couch and biting into these juicy chicken tenders. I’m really in love with mango and coconut as ingredients. If you’ve been around, you know how obsessed I’ve been with mangoes this summer because umm, they go away for an entire year once seasons done. And coconut is like my second love – curries, bakes, desserts – I need to use it in everything!
Hello juicy chicken with crispy coconut coating all around it that’s calling my name. Who’s ready to partaaaaaaaay? *raises hand*
If you are looking for a party appetizer that’s super easy and will keep everyone talking, this is it! Don’t forget to try them out at your next fun evening and make sure to tag your pictures my_foodstory on Instagram. If you want to plan an entire menu for your party, check out my Party Appetizers board on Pinterest for more inspiration!
And yea, don’t forget to make the mango mustard dipping sauce to go with it!
Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders with Mango Mustard Sauce
- 3 Chicken Breasts pounded to 1/2" thickness, cut into strips
For the Brine/Marinade
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Coating
- 3 Eggs large
- 1 1/2 cups Rice flour
- 3 cups Coconut unsweetened, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients mentioned under brine/marinade and add the chicken strips to it. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 200C/400F. Set a cooling rack on a baking sheet and spray or brush with oil.
- Now start by creating an assembly line of ingredients. You will need three wide mouthed bowls or plates for this. In the first bowl or plate place rice flour. In the second bowl season eggs with salt and whisk them with sriracha and 2 tablespoons water. And in the third place shredded coconut seasoned lightly with salt and chili flakes.
- Start by dipping each strip first in the flour, then egg, making sure to shake off any extra egg and finally crust it with the shredded coconut mixture. Place the strip on the greased cooling rack. Repeat this till all the strips have been coated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes till cooked through, turning halfway through. Broil for the last 2-3 minutes till the tenders are golden brown.
- Serve these baked coconut chicken tenders with mango mustard dipping sauce.