There are so many days when Denver and I come home late after a tiring day at work and quibble over who’s going to cook dinner. On such days we tend to look for easy recipes which come together in just a few minutes and yet taste like a lot of effort went into them! Chicken in Mushroom sauce is one such hack which is ready in no time and is to die for. It makes those eating it wonder if a little more of it is left after they’re done! While he starts chopping, I get to cooking the rice, prepping the dish and generally, giving him directions 😉
This is one of our favourite combinations because its easy, really quick and quite fancy with a glass of wine. I feel Chicken and Mushroom sauce put together taste like heaven and so, Denver and I have found ourselves going back to this recipe really often. Its safe to say that this one is our go-to recipe when we feel like having something delicious but are too lazy to cook.
It is too good to be healthy, isn’t it? Don’t worry! While Chicken is known to be a great source of protein and a highly preferred meat by many, Mushrooms are known for their irresistible taste, low calorie counts and fiber. Both of them clubbed together make a meal that you can thoroughly enjoy without feeling guilty. We’ve got your back and also subbed the calories for lighter ingredients to keep the calorie count under control.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
- Spinach Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Sheet Pan Honey Balsamic Chicken Thighs with Veggies
- Creamy Bacon Rosemary Mushroom Chicken Thighs
- Caramelized Onion Rosemary Chicken Thighs
Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- 2 Chicken Thighs
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsps Olive Oil
- 8 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsps Dried Rosemary
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour or Maida
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Milk
- Marinate the chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, half the chopped garlic, and salt. Keep this aside while you start the pan sauce.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a nonstick pan, add the chopped garlic and onions to it.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the mushrooms, salt and pepper. The mushrooms will start sweating in a few minutes. Add the stock and let this cook for 2-3 minutes
- Make a slurry with all-purpose flour and milk till no lumps are visible. Add this mixture to the pan and bring to a boil, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dried rosemary. Check the seasoning for taste and adjust as required. Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes till it becomes thick. You can add a knob of butter at this point for extra flavor but I usually skip this. Switch off the flame.
- Take another non stick pan, and add half a table spoon olive oil. The pan should be hot enough, without smoking the oil.
- Add the chicken thighs and you should immediately hear a sizzle.
- Sear the chicken on both sides for about 3 minutes each. Cover the pan, and let the chicken cook for about 8-10 minutes till cooked. A fork should easily insert into the thickest part of the thigh.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, or have it on the side. Tastes best with steamed rice.