Chinese style Corn Bhel is a sweet, spicy, crunchy recipe which really celebrates corn. Takes only 10 minutes to put together and makes the best 5PM snack on a rainy day.
Corn is in season and I'm doing all sorts of things with it. My favourites are corn pakodas, corn tikkis, corn chowder, buttered sweet corn, lasooni corn palak, corn ka kees, corn fritters, roasted bhutta, sweet corn soup and of course this Chinese-style Corn Bhel.
I'm not sure if Corn Bhel is really a thing but it's the best thing ever! It's such a flavour bomb and it's got so many different textures that it feels like a party in your mouth.
It starts with roasting whole corn on the cob on an open flame which in my opinion brings out the best flavours of corn. The slightly charred, sweet, still crunchy but tender corn kernels taste amazing on their own with some butter, lime juice, salt and chilli powder - its actually India's favourite street snack!
I obviously love Indo-Chinese flavours so I had to try them with this corn bhel. Soy sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup and lime juice give this a sweet, spicy, tangy finish.
You only need 10-15 minutes to put this together and don't forget the crispy fried noodles to finish. I already have a detailed recipe to make crispy fried noodles you can try.
Make this corn bhel before the season finishes - it makes the best 5PM snack ever.
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
- 1 whole Corn on the Cob
- 1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Lime Juice
- 2 ½ Tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Sauce
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Schezwan Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- ⅓ Cup chopped Capsicum
- ⅓ Cup chopped Onion
- ¾ Cup Fried Noodles sub with dried ramen noodles
- Roast the corn on an open flame till roasted and charred. Stand the corn picked side down straight into a deep bowl (using a bowl ensures any stray corn kernels don’t fly everywhere). Use a knife to slice down the length of corn and take off the corn kernels. Do this till all the kernels collect at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add soy sauce, lime juice, ketchup, chilli sauce, schezwan sauce, sugar, onion and capsicum, and mix well to the corn.
- Crush fried noodles, add them to the bowl and give this another nice toss. Serve immediately!