This Easy Stovetop Jalapeno Mushroom Mac and Cheese is a quick fix to your dinner cravings and is for when you’re really tired but want to treat yourself to a bowl of heaven. Who can say no to some creamy, dreamy, mac and cheese topped with jalapenos? Make extras so you can enjoy the aftertaste for a little longer!
Last week’s been busy.busy.busy. There have been days without lunch, and late nights. Too many in fact. I was about to burst mid-week but Denver was always around to hug me and tell me to take one day at a time. One of those nights, I had no idea what to do for dinner, and didn’t feel like spending an hour cooking up something elaborate. I wanted something simple, no fuss and comforting. You have no idea how Denver’s eyes lit up when I suggested some Jalapeno Mushroom Mac and Cheese for dinner.
I ended up making extras so we had this two nights in a row. But who can say no to some creamy, dreamy, mac and cheese right? Especially when it’s made more exciting with tons of Jalapenos (we can’t live without a little spice) and made healthier (I like to think so) with mushrooms.
Most mac and cheese recipes require to be baked and I love the crunchy, cheese top. But mum always made it this way and trust me, a warm bowl in your hand, your head against the pillow and a movie playing on the laptop. That’s all it takes to wash the tiredness away.
This has left me craving more Mac and Cheese. I’m off to make some for dinner. Maybe we should start calling today Mac and Cheese Monday’s. It could be a thing you know, that we could start together. I already like this thing.
A creamy, dreamy, and super easy jalapeno mushroom mac and cheese recipe made on the stovetop for easy, no fuss weeknight dinners.
- 1½ cups Elbow Macaroni (dry or any other small pasta)
- 1½ cups Mushrooms (cleaned and chopped into 4 parts)
- 4 Jalapenos (chopped finely)
- 1 + 2½ tablespoons Butter
- 2½ tablespoons Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Cheese – grated (I used a mix of Mozzarella and cheddar)
- Salt to taste
- Cook macaroni until al dente, according to instructions on the package. Once cooked, strain and rinse under cold water. This helps avoid it sticking together.
- In a large non stick pan, add a tablespoon of butter and saute the mushrooms on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Take them out in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining butter and flour. Cook the flour on low flame for a minute. Slowly add milk while whisking it into the flour to make sure there are no lumps. Increase the heat, and keep whisking till the mixture comes to a boil. Add chopped Jalapenos and mix. Lower the flame and cook for 3-4 minutes till the sauce thickens up and it’s consistency is almost like heavy cream.
- Add salt and cheese and mix. As soon as the cheese starts melting, add mushrooms and macaroni and mix gently.
- Adjust salt and spice levels (add some more chopped Jalapenos if you like it more spicy) and serve hot.
You can switch up mushrooms with broccoli, zucchini, carrots or any other vegetable you like.We like it medium hot, but if you like it more spicy, feel free to add more Jalapenos.
The trick to a creamy sauce is to keep whisking while adding milk to the roux (butter + flour) and make sure there are no lumps.
You can use processed cheese (Amul) or any other cheese if you don’t have mozzarella and cheddar.