Grilled Sambal Chicken Skewers is an easy, 5 ingredient recipe thats spicy, sweet and sticky! Its a chinese style recipe with sambal oelek, soy sauce and lemon grass.
This post is in collaboration with some of my favorite food bloggers- check out #MemorialDayGrillFest during this week and next for awesome summer cookout recipes!
I know we don't celebrate Memorial Day here in India but when a few friends asked me to bring out our best grilling recipes, I couldn't resist. Because we are the king of tandoors here in India right? And to be honest, Denver and I grill as often as we can. Not in a tandoor but a normal grill.
We can't really grill at home because our apartment situation doesn't allow it, but every friend, neighbour, family thats grilling, we are always there.
I've been taking these five ingredient grilled sambal chicken skewers everywhere. And I know you will too because these spicy, sweet, sticky chicken skewers are the best!
How to make Grilled Sambal Chicken Skewers (Video)
I know you must be reading five ingredients and probably thinking of shutting this blog now. But stay with me please. Because this will only take two more minutes.
You don't even need a recipe for these grilled sambal chicken skewers because you know we can all remember what those five ingredients are:
- Sambal Oelek
- Soy Sauce
- Fish Sauce
- Fresh Lemongrass
and Garlic and Chicken...duh!
And if you don't know what sambal oelek, thats why I'm here. Its a spicy, hot sauce that's used in Thai and Malaysian cooking and I think we all need a jar of this addictive stuff in our pantry. Especially because we are going to want to make these grilled sambal chicken skewers at least ten more times.
To make sure you have the best grilling experience while making these grilled sambal chicken skewers, I have a few pointers that always help me. And they need to be shared with you. Because we all need our pro game on!
Top tips to grill sambal chicken skewers
- Use chicken thighs instead of breasts. I can't insist enough that you use chicken thighs because they are the juiciest part of the chicken and won't dry or become chewy on grilling. Stay away from chicken breasts!
- Marinate your chicken for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight. Marinating the chicken makes sure the sauces permeate the chicken and its flavorful from the inside out
- Reserve leftover sauce. Always reserve leftover sauce that's left in your ziplock, or container because thats what we are going to use to brush our chicken while its grilling to make sure it remains juicy and sticky
- Soak wooden skewers. You can choose to use either metal skewers or wooden skewers for grilling. Wooden skewers require pre-soaking and its an important step you shouldn't forget to avoid them from burning
More Asian Chicken Appetizers You Must Try:
- Sticky Thai Meatballs
- Easy Thai Basil Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken with Broccoli
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
Grilled Sambal Chicken Skewers
- 1 kg Chicken Thighs skinless (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lemongrass finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Oil or Butter
- In a bowl, mix together sambal oelek, soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, lemongrass and garlic. Add chicken pieces and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Skewer the chicken on wooden skewers and set aside. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Pre-heat the grill for 5-10 minutes or use a ribbed cast iron skillet for stovetop. Brush with butter or oil, and place the chicken skewers and cook for 8-10 minute on either while brushing regularly with marinade. Serve hot with chopped coriander, and a squirt of lime juice.
Yum! So easy and so good! I had all the ingredients so it was a snap to make the marinade. A keeper for sure.
Forgot to rate it.
Thank you so much! Glad you liked it 🙂
Absolutely! You can easily use it for fish, other seafoods and meats
I can't wait to make this! I love chicken thighs on the grill and I can tell that the combo of flavors in this recipe is going to be something special!!
Elizabeth @ Bowl of D says
The color of these is AMAZING, and any recipe with 5 ingredients is great in my book! LOVE the simplicity of this and the amazing flavors of the sauce.
Thanks Elizabeth! So glad you liked it
dixya @food, pleasure, and health says
im sold on 5 ingredients! i dont bbq as much but i love how this can be done on a grill.
carlos at Spoonabilities says
I really like this recipe. EASY and just a few ingredients!
Love the video too!
Thanks, glad you liked it!