Healthy cream of mushroom soup is made in the pressure cooker without any processed ingredients. Its light, super creamy and gets its creaminess from a secret ingredient! Its a bowl filled with healthy, vegetarian and gluten free comfort that is best enjoyed when you’re tucked in and watching a nostalgic movie!
It’s just me and my bowl of healthy cream of mushroom soup today. Because we are celebrating October and the fact that it finally feels like we can put on a cozy sweater and boots. And because I’m just a plain and simple mushroom soup fan.
Gosh! The number of times we eat mushroom soup is unbelievable. We don’t even need a reason. Every time I ask Denver what he wants to eat – it’s always something with mushrooms. And because we can make this soup in under 29 minutes it’s always a win. For the 29 minute victory, you will need a pressure cooker of course, but this can be made pretty quickly without one as well.
Does this Cream of Mushroom Soup have cream?
This healthy cream of mushroom soup does not have any heavy cream but is still creamy, smooth and luscious and you won’t even miss the fat here. The secret ingredient to making cream of mushroom soup without cream is potatoes. The potatoes add volume, depth and creaminess while reducing the amount of fat that goes into the recipe. A little milk towards the end and you have the best cream of mushroom soup without the cream or any weird ingredients.
What do I need for this healthy cream of mushroom soup?
The list of ingredients in this soup is really simple. All you need is a dash of oil, bay leaf, peppercorns, lots of mushrooms, potatoes, milk and seasoning. That’s a total of six ingredients which are pretty much around in every kitchen.
Turn it into a one pot cream of mushroom soup
If you want to turn this into a one pot cream of mushroom soup, once everything is pressure cooked, remove the bay leaf and use a stick blender to blend the ingredients till they are smooth and creamy. Then you just add the milk, adjust the seasoning and bring it to a quick bowl. Top with olive oil, dip some bread and dinner’s ready!
More Healthy Soups:
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Rosemary
- Winter Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Detox Cabbage Soup
- Thai Ginger Carrot Soup
- Spicy Thai Curry Pumpkin Noodle Soup
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8-10 Peppercorns
- 1 large Potato roughly chopped
- 300 grams Mushrooms cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil for topping
- In a pressure cooker, add olive oil, garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns. Cook till fragrant and add the mushrooms, potatoes, water and salt. Place the lid and pressure cook for three whistles if using a traditional pressure cooker. Switch off the flame and let the steam escape before opening the cooker.
- Once cool, remove the bay leaf and blend the rest with a stick blender till smooth (I like it slightly chunky but you can adjust the consistency to your taste). Add the milk, adjust seasoning and bring it to a quick boil. Switch off the flame.
- Top each bowl of soup with a dash of olive oil and serve with crusty bread.
- Mushrooms can be combined with some wonderful flavors - add some lemon zest, or sprinkle with a pinch of truffle salt. Or better still, stir fry some chopped mushrooms and mix in just before serving
- I used a combination of button, oysters and dried porcini