Golden Turmeric Milk or Haldi Doodh is every mom and grandmom's go-to immunity booster every time we've been hurt or under the weather. Turmeric or Haldi is a crucial ingredient in Indian kitchens and mixing it with warm milk is traditional comfort at its best!
I've got the sniffles guys. I've practically been sneezing my way through the day, and coughing enough to bring the house down. I felt better enough today to actually open my eyes, take a few pictures and write this post about the right way to make golden turmeric milk. Some even like to call it turmeric latte or turmeric tea, but we call it haldi doodh at home.
It's the first thing moms insist you have when you need an immunity boost. I remember my mum and grandma insisting I drink a glass every time I fell down and hurt myself or got a cold.
And it's the first thing I thought of when I got a cold. Old habits die hard. And we find comfort in traditions. Which this haldi doodh was growing up. A warm glass before going to bed, followed by a bear hug from mom was enough to get us sleeping like a baby.
They say this home remedy is great for anybody who needs a shot of antibiotics or just some immunity building - including pregnant women, sick children or adults. Turmeric has some major benefits, which I think we as Indians have always valued which is why it's such a frequently used spice in an Indian house. Don't believe me? You can read all about the health benefits of turmeric here.
In fact I don't think we Indians can work without this spice in the kitchen. Every time I make an Indian recipe, I always end up reaching out for turmeric or haldi. It adds a beautiful yellow hue and a dash of spice which is just perfect to perk up a dish. With turmeric, always remember to store it in an airtight jar and don't forget that a little goes a long way.
The last few days, Turmeric Milk is what has helped me get better and can really work for you if you have cough, cold or just a sore throat. Here's a quick recipe to show you how to make Turmeric Milk the right way.
More Turmeric recipes for you to try:
How to Make Golden Turmeric Milk the Right Way?
- 1 cup Whole milk Or Coconut / Soy / Almond
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric Powder or Haldi
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper Ground or Pepper Powder, reduce it to a pinch if you prefer less spicy
- Mix together all the ingredients in pan and bring it to boil.
- Simmer for a minute or so and switch off the flame.
- Sip slowly while still hot.
- Consume immediately as it will become bitter if left to sit.
- You can also use crushed ginger, cinnamon powder, crushed cardamom or cloves.
- Honey can be substituted with sugar or jaggery as well.
- Make it vegan by using coconut milk, soy milk or almond milk.