Down with the flu? Or just 2020 blues? Hot Toddy is the answer to all your troubles! See our tips on how to make the best hot toddy in town!
In the mood for a nice cocktail this evening? But it’s too cold outside? Or you’re feeling a bit under the weather? Not to fear, hot toddy is here! This drink is a mix of spirit and Indian spices, and it’ll warm you up from the inside. Though it’s known for its medicinal properties, it’s also the perfect drink to sip on a cold and frosty December evening!
When you have a cold, there’s always that one friend who’ll say, “Just knock back a few, you’ll be fine!” I always thought it was far-fetched and never tried it. But guys, it’s miraculous! Hot toddy is such an underrated cocktail! We’ve been on a cocktail experimenting spree, and we made hot toddy to battle the cold winter!
What is Hot Toddy?
Hot toddy is a popular cocktail that’s classically made with brandy, sugar, hot water, and flavored with spices. It is a versatile cocktail that finds its place in both snow-covered cabins or on the cocktail menu of an acclaimed bar.
Fun fact: Ever wondered why a toddy is called a toddy? Apparently it was created in the mid-18th century as a cure for the common cold by Dr. Todd. And the name stuck! But that’s just one of the many theories.
Ingredients in Hot Toddy
The spirit in hot toddy is usually whisky or brandy, whichever one you prefer. Hot toddy has a variety of spices in it. In this recipe, we have used cinnamon, cardamom, black peppercorns, star anise, and cloves. Sugar or honey gives the sweetness to the drink. Honey is the popular choice because it’s said to be soothing for the throat. The best way to infuse the flavours of the spices is to boil them in water and then strain them. That’s how bartenders do it!
Spicy, strong, citrusy, sweet; the taste of spices lingers on the tongue. It’ll really warm you up from the inside.
Hot Toddy is more of a relaxing drink. You can pair it with simple side dishes and finger food. This is one cocktail that goes well with both sweet and savoury food. Pair a glass of hot toddy with the following:
- Apple Pie Chips
- Curry Chicken Sandwich
- Easy Cinnamon Bread Pudding
- Bombay Potatoes
- Coconut Pistachio Banana Bread
Top Tips and Tricks To Make The Best Hot Toddy
- Always use whole spices for best results. Spice powders are very fine and give the finished drink a grainy texture which may not be the best feeling on the tongue.
- You can add some apple or pineapple juice to the drink to add more flavor.
- You can also replace the spirit with juice to make a non-alcoholic version of the cocktail.
If you have a cold and need an instant cure, make a glass of hot toddy. And before you take the first sip, inhale the steam of the drink deeply. You can thank me later!
Whether we’re feeling blue or not, do we really need an excuse to enjoy cocktails? Bottoms up!!
More Cocktail Recipes You Must Try:
- Strawberry Pepper Gin and Tonic
- Roasted Pineapple Moscow Mule
- Vanilla Cinnamon Old Fashioned
- Cranberry Ginger Holiday Cocktail
- 15 Traditional Cocktails That Got A Makeover
Spiced Hot Toddy
- 60 ml Whiskey Brandy or Rum can also be used; we used whiskey
- 4 whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 pod Cardamom
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Clove
- 1 Star Anise
- 240 ml Water
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Add cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon powder, clove, star anise to water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the flame to low heat once it boils and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and keep aside.
- Pour whiskey into a toddy glass or a mug. Pour the prepared brew over it, add honey and lightly mix with a spoon or a stirrer. Consume while hot!