I think I’ve got you covered as far as irresistible fast food goes with this KFC Style Spicy Popcorn Chicken. So the thing is, I’m not a big KFC fan. Sorry KFC lovers. But their popcorn chicken I’m partial to. I know it’s not healthy. And all the calories. After all it’s just pieces of fried chicken. But there is something about them being bite sized and coated in a sweet spicy spice rub that I find so irresistible.
This is one of those recipes that I get a little obsessive about. Because I need to get it just right before I share it here with all you discerning food lovers. We have a friendly trust thing going on and it means so much to me that we are food loving BFF’s. So this KFC style popcorn chicken was made a total of 6 times before I decided it was good enough to be shared here.
There’s nothing truly special about the fried chicken. I did try a few combinations – double soak in buttermilk, flour + buttermilk + panko + buttermilk coating, skipping the flour completely etc. etc. and I think as far as you use some buttermilk and stick to panko breadcrumbs, the crunch will be LOUD and CLEAR.
What’s special is that spice rub which took slightly longer to get right. But when it did, I had sticky fingers that I couldn’t stop licking.
It’s just the right amount of sweet + spicy, tasting very very close to the original KFC popcorn chicken. I’d know, considering I’ve been a regular consumer. Which is why I’m the happiest person in the world. Because now I’m having healthier popcorn chicken. Yes, I’m calling these things healthier because while they are fried, we’ll be using good quality, fresh oil at home. There is no added MSG and these things haven’t been frozen and stored for god knows how long! I’m a firm believer that fried food is waaaay healthier if homemade. Do you see how logical my logic is?
Get me a bowl of this popcorn chicken + sriracha mayo dipping sauce + couch and I’m the happiest potato in the world. Try it, and you will be too!
If you are the kinds who loves your food over-the-top spicy, try this schezwan sauce for dipping and you’ll achieve fire breathing dragon levels:
These KFC style spicy popcorn chicken bites taste just like the real thing and disappear in minutes! Easy, crunchy and perfectly spiced.
- 300 grams Chicken (Boneless)
- (Oil for Frying)
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic (paste)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (or Paprika Powder)
- to taste Salt
For the Coating:
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Panko (Breadcrumbs)
- to taste Salt (and Pepper)
For the Spice Mix:
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kashmiri Chilli Powder (or Paprika Powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon Sugar (Powdered)
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- Cut the boneless chicken into 1 inch bite sized pieces.
- Mix together all the ingredients under marinade and rub all over the chicken. Marinate for at least half an hour.
- Season the flour and panko breadcrumbs for coating with salt and pepper.
- To start making popcorn chicken, arrange an assembly line of sorts. Place flour, buttermilk and breadcrumbs next to each other along with the chicken. Arrange a wire rack to place the chicken once crumb coated.
- Now start by lightly coating the chicken with flour. Dip it in buttermilk next, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat for each piece of chicken, and keep placing them on the wire rack.
- Heat oil for frying and deep fry in batches on medium heat till the chicken is cooked through and lightly brown on the outside.
- In the meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients under spice mix.
- Dust the chicken pieces with the spice mix as soon as they are fried. This helps coat the mixture all over the chicken. I usually sprinkle the spicy mix and toss the chicken in it while it’s still hot. Serve hot with some sriracha mayo dipping sauce or schezwan sauce.