This Lighter Creamier Corn Pepper Fusilli Alfredo will satisfy your pasta cravings and won’t leave you with the post cheat meal guilt! Wholewheat fusilli pasta, a lighter sauce which is just as creamy as the real thing and enough corn and peppers to balance out the veggie quotient!
It’s so tough staying away from anything pasta but you know the calories in a loaded Alfredo sauce are probably enough to discount three days of workout (which I’ve recently started doing after much procrastination). This lighter creamier corn pepper fusilli alfredo is just everything right now. Only thing I couldn’t resist is bacon. Because bacon is perfect. And let’s not argue about that.
I’m also so kicked about this corn and pepper combination. It’s perfect with just the right amount of natural sweet and spicy. That fusilli really soaks up all the sauce. Each little crevice in that spiral is filled with our lighter, creamier alfredo sauce which makes it the perfect choice for this pasta!
Some of you are going to say that there is nothing light about all that stringy cheese. But when you compare all the cheese and cream that goes into a traditional alfredo, this is not even half as many calories!
We are making some real substitutions. Whole wheat flour for all purpose flour. Skim milk for cream. And only a little bit of cheese which amounts to less 2 tablespoons per helping. Is this perfect or what?
We ended up doing this for lunch the other day, and oh man! I ate leftovers standing by the fridge in the middle of the night. So not cool. But totally unavoidable.
I love you lighter creamier corn pepper fusilli alfredo. And I’ll be making you again. I promise.
A lighter, creamier corn pepper fusilli alfredo so that you can have your fill without the guilt! There are some real substitutions with whole wheat flour, skim milk and half the cheese making the sauce.
- 2 cups Fusilli (uncooked Pasta)
- 4 Strips Bacon (, diced (Optional))
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic (, minced)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Whole wheat flour ((Atta))
- 3 cups Milk (Skim)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili (Flakes)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar (shredded and/or Mozzarella)
- 1 cup Corn (Kernels)
- 1 cup Red Bell Peppers (diced)
- to taste Salt
- Cook pasta in boiling water as per package directions till al dente.
- Cook bacon in a skillet till golden brown and crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wipe off the excess fat with a paper towel.
- Heat butter and olive oil in the same skillet and add garlic. Saute for a minute and add whole wheat flour. Saute the whole wheat flour for about 30 seconds till it starts foaming and using a hand whisk, whisk in the milk till no lumps exist.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil while stirring continuously. Mix in the italian seasoning, chili flakes, salt and cheese.
- Add the pasta, corn, pepper and bacon to the pan and mix well till all the alfredo sauce coats the pasta. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame. At this point, add a little milk if the sauce is too thick. Serve hot.
If you are vegetarian, simple skip step 2 and follow the rest.