Vegetarian portobello mushroom fajita tacos are quick, easy, super healthy and will disappear in minutes. The Mexican flavors in these tacos are amazing, and these are perfect for both meatless mondays and taco tuesdays!
Let’s not let weather dictate what we eat right now because these vegetarian portobello mushroom fajita tacos are the perfect way to feel like it’s a party.
Taco night is a pretty regular affair here at the Dsouza’s and we are always experimenting. A lot of this and that went into these mushroom fajita tacos and I have to tell you, these can give any meaty tacos a run for its money.
Infact I think portobello mushrooms are the perfect meat replacement for everything. They have a delicious, thick texture thats a little bit chewy and can still hold its own. Which is why when I was thinking vegetarian tacos, I had to try them with portobello mushrooms.
And I know its festival time. Dussehra is almost here and some of you are going to be vegetarian for the next couple of days. So, this is a double treat. Because you won’t miss the meat, and can still enjoy a night of tacos and wine. We said it’s a party, remember?
And I like to keep it light on a weekday. Which is why wine is the perfect pairing. I love pairing these with Big Banyan’s Chardonnay because it has a beautiful aroma of pineapple and pears. It’s crisp fruitiness and light sweetness makes it just right for these vegetarian portobello mushroom fajita tacos which are smoky, slightly spicy and still light and easy. I topped these with some goat’s cheese to balance out the flavors, and add a bit of creaminess.
I’m also thinking that these would be perfect for a Dussehra taco party. I can just see this happening. Lay out all the taco ingredients:
- Portobello Mushroom Fajita Filling
- Corn Tacos
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Goats Cheese
- Big Banyan’s Chardonnay
And let your guests make their own tacos. It’s such a fun way to get the party going, and everyone loves taco night!
So if you are pseudo vegetarian or even a real one, I guarantee these tacos are going to make taco tuesdays even better!
Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Fajita Tacos
For the tacos:
For the avocado cilantro sauce
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Ripe Avocado pitted and peeled
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ¾ cup Cilantro loosely packed
- ¼ cup Mint
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
Top your tacos with:
- Black Beans
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Goats Cheese or Feta
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Saute for a minute and add onions and mushrooms. Stir fry on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes till the onions and mushrooms are tender but not completely wilted. Add bell peppers, paprika, cumin powder, chipotle powder and salt. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- For the avocado cilantro sauce, blend everything in a blender till smooth. Add a tablespoon or two water if you like a thinner sauce.
- Heat the tacos on both sides on a pan or just toss them on an open flame or grill for a little char. Add mushroom fajita filling to each taco, top it up with black beans, tomatoes, jalapenos and goats cheese and drizzle some sauce. Enjoy with a glass of !
- The nutritional information below is for two tacos per serving minus the toppings
- The portobello mushroom filling is delicious and feel free to use it and make it into a vegetarian taco bowl as well!
Thanks to our friends at Big Banyan for sponsoring this recipe, and serving up some delicious wine!
More Taco Recipes