Asian inspired slow cooker teriyaki meatballs with pineapple are super easy, low carb and can be made in your crockpot. Juicy, succulent, these teriyaki pineapple meatballs can also be baked in the oven.
The slow cooker or crockpot is such an amazing invention, don’t you think? When you’ve had the busiest week and don’t even want to step into the kitchen to cook a meal which will take you an hour of being on your feet, the slow cooker makes your life so much easier.
You know how much I love my slow cooker. I’ve raved about it again and again, particularly for cooking meat. I think it adds so much flavor that there are dishes that I wouldn’t cook any other way!
These slow cooker teriyaki meatballs with pineapple are such a star in our kitchen now. It really is the best way to make meatballs when you only want to do half the work but want maximum flavor! And I’m never doing them any other way.
I clearly love all things teriyaki because this is the THIRD teriyaki recipe on this blog. You absolutely loved my teriyaki shrimp broccoli stir fry on pinterest, and it looks like you are sending some major love to the teriyaki chicken meal prep bowls now. So I figured there is a limitless requirement for all things teriyaki sauce in our lives.
Hiiiiii slow cooker teriyaki meatballs with pineapple! You are currently rocking my world with your sauciness.
Can we please just talk about meatballs for a minute?
How do you make the best homemade meatballs?
The trick to getting really soft, succulent juicy meatballs is a combination of things. First up, a combination of beef and pork is amazing because pork makes the meatballs softer. But ground chicken works really well too, except chicken meat can get drier fast. But since we are making these teriyaki meatballs in the slow cooker, they are drenched in sauce which keep them nice and moist. Secondly, I like soaking breadcrumbs in milk so that while mixing the breadcrumbs get combined easily and hold the meatballs together while still keeping them moist. Thirdly, its really important not to overwork the mixture. While mixing them up, I like using my hands which keeps the mixture light and airy and doesn’t result in tough meatballs.
Also how do you make teriyaki sauce?
Teriyaki sauce is a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar or honey, garlic and ginger. I also like to add chilli flakes for that sweet and spicy kick. Cornflour or potato starch can be used to thicken the sauce. Or you can make the sauce without it by thickening it first on the stove.
And guys don’t skip the pineapple. Because imagine a sweet and spicy sauce and then chunks of pineapple in every second bite. That combination is ULTRA!
The add ons are really up to you. I like to add snap peas for that extra crunch and to make me feel like we are eating our veggies too. But go ahead and add broccoli, bell peppers, beans or whatever vegetable you like to add to your meatballs to make this a wholesome meal. Serve these slow cooker teriyaki meatballs with steamed rice, or even quinoa and you’ve got yourself a dinner that will have you licking the back of that spoon!
Other Asian Inspired Dishes:
- Crispy Tofu Broccoli Stir Fry
- One Pan Veg Noodle and Manchurian Stir Fry
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Burnt Garlic Mushroom Fried Rice
- 25 Asian Recipes for the days you crave takeout!
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Meatballs with Pineapple
For the Meatballs
- 750 grams Ground Beef or Chicken
- 250 grams Ground Pork
- 2/3 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Onion finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup Light Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or Honey
- 1 tablespoon Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch or Potato starch
Other Add Ins
- 1 cup Pineapple diced
- 2 cups Snap Peas or Broccoli, Beans, Bell Peppers
- Sesame Seeds and sliced Green Onions for topping
- Steamed Rice for serving
Make the Meatballs
- In a bowl mix together breadcrumbs and milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, minced onions, ginger, chilli flakes and salt and mix to combine. Add the beef and pork and mix with your hands until just combined.
- Rub a little oil on your hands and form the mixture into 1 inch meatballs.
Brown the Meatballs
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet and add the meatballs in the batches, making sure that its not over crowded. Brown the meatballs on all sides, remove them from the pan and place them in the slow cooker.
Slow Cook the Meatballs
- Whisk together all the ingredients under sauce and pour the sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker. Add the pineapple and cook on low for 3-4 hours till the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened up.
- Add the snap peas or any other vegetables you are using and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve over rice topped with sesame seeds and green onions.