Take a trip down memory lane with this Chocolate Magic Shell! This thin and crackly chocolate layer makes each bite of your ice cream even more irresistible! Learn how to make this 2 ingredient chocolate sauce with my easy recipe!
Alright, who else misses the joy of eating vanilla softy with that crackly chocolate shell?? For the uninitiated, a softy is a soft serve vanilla ice cream in a cone which is then dipped into a decadent gorgeous chocolate sauce. And then the coolest thing happens - the chocolate magically solidifies within a few seconds and becomes crackly!
Vanilla softy with the chocolate magic shell was usually more expensive than just plain vanilla ice cream. I remember how I'd look forward to one! This recipe is definitely a blast from the past for me. It's perfect for dipping ice cream cones in and to pour on top of ice creams, sundaes and even milkshakes etc. Now I can make homemade magic shell ice cream anytime I like, and so can you!
Just 2 Ingredients
This chocolate shell is a two ingredient mix made with chocolate and coconut oil. I use a mix of dark and milk chocolate because what's not to love about that perfect balance of sweet and bitter chocolate on vanilla ice cream. When this saucy dip is poured over cold ice cream, it freezes within seconds to produce a beautiful chocolate shell. All this with just these two ingredients!
2 Different Ways To Make Chocolate Shell
There are two ways to make this chocolate magic shell:
- You can microwave the ingredients together to melt coconut oil and chocolate
- You can also use a double boiler
The mixture should be smooth and glossy. This gorgeous dark chocolate sauce is so droolworthy, you'll be pouring this on every desert you make!
Here's how you can incorporate this hard shell chocolate into your desserts!
- Pour this over scoops of your favourite ice cream and dig in with sundae spoons
- Dip cones of vanilla ice cream into this mixture and bite right into that crackly top!
- You could make this dessert colourful and fun by topping it off with sprinkles, chopped cashews or peanuts!
- You can also use this to easily make chocobar at home. Scoop vanilla ice cream into moulds and freeze for a few hours. Once frozen, take the bar of vanilla ice cream out and dip it into the magic shell topping. Wait a few seconds for it to harden and your homemade chocobar is ready!!
It's important that the ice cream is straight out of the freezer. The colder it is, the faster the magic chocolate shell sets and the faster you can dig in.
More Drool-worthy Chocolate Desserts
- Fudgy Brownie Cookies
- Eggless Chocolate Mousse
- Baileys Chocolate Ice Cream
- Fudgy Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Oreo Double Chocolate Brownie
- Dark Chocolate Rose Pistachio Bark
Chocolate Magic Shell topping for ice cream
- 200 Grams Chocolate dark+milk
- 2.5 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces so it melts easily and evenly.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for 15 seconds. Mix and microwave for an additional 15 seconds if required. Continue this until the chocolate and coconut have melted. The mixture must be glossy and smooth.
- Alternatively you can place it in a bowl and cook it over a water bath for 1-2 minutes or until smoothly melted.
- Set the chocolate mixture aside. Scoop your favourite ice cream into a bowl. Pour the chocolate mix over it. You can also dip scooped ice cream straight into the chocolate.
- Allow the shell to harden for a few seconds. Enjoy!
- Chocolate: I prefer to use a mix of 50:50 milk chocolate to dark chocolate but this is flexible
- Serving Size: The serving size is estimated as sauce required for two scoops of ice cream to form a hard chocolate shell
- Add Ons: Sprinkle some chopped nuts, fruits or sprinkles once you pour the chocolate sauce as additional fun toppings