I was feeling fancy because I went to Karen Anand’s Farmers Market in Bangalore. There was the smell of freshly brewed coffee, a sizzle from the barbecue where chicken wings were browning, and fresh, fresh produce. I picked up a pack of green Heirloom Tomatoes. What are they, you ask? Well, they are open-pollinated, non hybrid tomatoes. It’s a slightly different variety from the ones generally available at the market and because they aren’t hybrid, they just taste better – fresher, juicier, and with a slight tang.
Since I was feeling fancy and all, I decided to make a Galette.
What’s that you ask, again? Its a flat, round pie, usually made with flaky pastry dough. And I’m going to tell you how to make it. So that you can feel a little bit fancy too.
Find the Pesto recipe here.
Whole Wheat Basil Tomato Galette – Flaky melt-in-your-mouth pastry brushed with pesto and cream cheese, and layered with tomatoes.
For the dough:
- 60 g All Purpose Flour (or Maida)
- 60 g Whole Wheat Flour (or Atta)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 50 g Unsalted Butter (, cut into small pieces)
- 1 tsp Thyme (Fresh or Dried)
- 4 – 5 tbsps Water (Ice-cold)
For the filling:
- 2 tbsps Pesto
- 1 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Heirloom Tomato (, Sliced)
- to Taste Salt
- Black Pepper (Freshly ground)
- A few Basil (Additional leaves of for garnishing)
- Egg (- Wash for brushing)
- For the dough
- Add all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, butter and thyme to a food processor. Pulse till the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Keep pulsing while adding the water till the mixture just about comes together. Transfer this to a work surface, and knead together for 20 seconds till the mixture forms into craggly dough. Flatten into a disk, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- To make the filling
- Mix the pesto that we made earlier (http://myfoodstory.in/basil-walnut-pesto/) and cream cheese to make a smooth paste.
- Heat the oven to 190 degree Celsius.
- Assembling the Galette
- Once the dough is chilled, remove from the refrigerator and place on a heavily floured work surface. Roll the dough out into a 9-inch round. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the pesto mixture over the dough leaving a 1 inch border. Place the tomato slices on the pesto mixture and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Fold the edges over the tomatoes using the 1 inch border and pleat them to make it fit. The center of the pie will be open.
- Brush the edges with egg wash (Whisk together egg and a little water to make egg wash) and bake for 40-50 minutes till golden brown. Remove from the oven. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, sprinkle with fresh basil, cut into wedges and serve.