Another supremely simple recipe – Instant Pot Chicken in Mushroom Sauce is a favourite! Classic flavours that are a hit with everyone! Learn how to quickly make creamy mushroom sauce with succulent chicken breasts in the Instant Pot!
Who doesn’t like the classic flavours of chicken with mushroom sauce, right? I also make Chicken in Mushroom Sauce on the stove top and it usually disappears in minutes! But what I love about the Instant Pot version is it’s waaay quicker, simpler and the whole thing comes together in one pot, so that’s fewer dishes to clean!
As you can tell I’m in love with this recipe. We’ve kept everything really simple and used ingredients like thyme, chives, etc. that pair so well with chicken and mushrooms. The chicken gets cooked perfectly in the instant pot without having to stress about overcooking it. And the sauce comes together in minutes!
Cooking Chicken In the Instant Pot
A lot of people are intimidated to cook chicken at home. They are always worried about overcooking or undercooking it. The best part about Instant Pot recipes is that it takes the guesswork out of it. And because the chicken is cooked under pressure, it remains juicy and succulent. Since the mushrooms and chicken cook together, the stock is flavoured with mushrooms and that creates the base for the sauce.
Which cut of Chicken Should I Use?
We’ve used chicken breasts in this recipe because they are a leaner cut of meat, and that’s why we like them in this recipe. However, you can easily swap them for chicken thighs. The cooking time remains the same. It’s important to season the chicken with salt and flavour before cooking.
Making The Mushroom Sauce
We’ve kept it simple and used only button mushrooms in the chicken mushroom gravy. The sauce gets all it’s flavours from butter, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and most importantly, chicken! When the chicken cooks with the mushrooms, all those delicious juices come together and make up the base of the sauce. Instead of making a roux like you would normally do for a creamy sauce, I like to use cornflour to thicken up the sauce in the Instant Pot. And then add generous amounts of fresh cream and grated parmesan cheese. The gravy becomes thick and creamy, just the way I like it!
This dish is definitely a meal in itself. I like to serve the chicken on a bed of Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes with some grilled or steamed vegetables on the side. You can also substitute the mashed potatoes with flavoured rice or quinoa if that’s what you like!
More Winner Winner Chicken Dinners:
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Scallopini
- Caramelized Onion Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Chicken Meatballs In Mushroom Sauce
- Chicken Breast Stuffed with Spinach & Mushrooms
- Creamy Bacon Rosemary Mushroom Chicken Thighs
Watch How to make Instant Pot Chicken in Mushroom Sauce Recipe Video
Instant Pot Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- 4 Chicken Breasts Can be easily substituted with skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper freshly ground
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 200 Grams Button Mushrooms halved or quartered
- 1 Teaspoon chopped Garlic
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Flour
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cream
- 1/2 Cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper freshly ground
- 2 Tablespoons Chives
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Generously season all sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the Sauté mode on medium heat. When the monitor displays HOT, add olive oil and butter to coat the bottom. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms start to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add thyme, salt, pepper and continue to saute for 2 more minutes. Add stock and stir together until well-mixed. Turn off the Sauté mode.
- Add chicken to the pot in a single layer, nudging the mushrooms to the sides. The chicken should be sitting at the bottom of the pot, submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and lock the lid, and seal the vent. Select the Manual mode to cook for 5 minutes at HIGH pressure. Let it naturally release pressure for 6 minutes, followed by a gradual manual release. Press Cancel.
- Uncover and transfer the chicken onto serving plates.
- Stir the liquid left in the pot, and scoop out about 1/4 cup into a small bowl. Combine with corn flour and whisk until completely dissolved. Press the Sauté mode on low.
- Add corn flour mixture to the pot and stir to ensure there are no lumps. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes or until the liquid thickens to a sauce consistency. Add a little extra water if necessary.
- Gradually stir in cream and parmesan cheese. Add the chicken back to the pot. Simmer till the sauce thickens slightly and becomes creamy.
- Turn off the Sauté mode. Season with a little more salt and pepper, if necessary. Spoon gravy on top of the chicken. Garnish with fresh chives and serve!