Here’s the foolproof recipe for Instant Pot Lasagna! It’s easy to make and super yum! And you don’t need an oven for this lasagna! Look out for our tips on how to make the lasagna layers and cook a perfect lasagna in the Instant Pot!
We are serious Lasagna lovers. It is legit the queen of comfort food. We have the Vegetarian Lasagna recipe which we make in the oven. Buuut we’re always looking to make our lives easier. And so we made 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna for those weeknight pasta cravings.
And now we’ve come up with a lasagna in the Instant Pot. Just do a little bit of prep, layer away, and chuck the lasagna into the Instant Pot and that’s it! You don’t need an oven – the Instant Pot aka amazing pressure cooker will do all the work.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think instant pot could be used for pasta too. I mean.. Pressure cooker lasagna? Really? But then, in walks this instant pot vegetarian lasagna. It’s cooked perfectly, every layer tastes soooo good, and it looks damn good on the plate! Plus, it’s so much faster! So why not!
Instant Pot vs Oven Baked vs Stovetop
A lasagna is basically a multi-layered pasta dish which is traditionally cooked in the oven. It’s got veggies, or meat, a tangy tomato sauce, and lots of cheese.
- Oven-Lasagna is moist and juicy, and the top layer gets that nice golden brown colour. But the lasagna takes forever to get done in the oven. Also, there are so many pressure points while using the oven like is the temperature correct, will it burn on the outside, will the insides get too dry, and so on.
- The skillet method is a genius method for those who don’t have an oven, but it’s quite the attention-seeker. Since it all comes together in one pan, there’s the risk of burning the bottom of the lasagna. And it’s not layered so it’s satisfies the craving but doesn’t really look like lasagna
- The Instant pot method is actually 100% stress-free. Once you’ve set the timer, your job is done. The Instant Pot controls the temperature perfectly, which means you are not worried about uncooked layers or burnt bottoms. So when you want a quick Lasagna fix, pick the instant pot method!
The Sauteed Veggie Layer
In this vegetarian lasagna, we’ve added garlic, chopped onions, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. In this version, feel free to add or remove any veggies based on what you like. It’s important to cut the veggies in uniform sizes so that they cook evenly. You could use a veggie cutter. The veggies are sauteed for a few minutes with seasoning to remove excess liquid, but they should remain crunchy because they will cook further in the instant pot.
The Tomato Sauce
Store bought tomato sauce is the easy way to do it so go ahead if you don’t have time. But nothing beats the rich, tangy taste of Homemade Tomato Sauce! You can even add a bit of pesto to the layers to add another dimension of flavour.
Ricotta and Spinach Filling
We used soft ricotta cheese as a base for the ricotta and spinach filling. Blanching the spinach before adding it to the ricotta is a super important step! Remember to gently squeeze out all of the water as spinach tends to leave out water. We seasoned this mix with basil before we started layering away! And adding parmesan shavings gives those salty, umami flavours. YUM!
The Cheese Layer
Don’t skimp on the cheese! Apart from being supremely yummy, the mozarella has another important role in lasagna. It holds the layers together. Melted cheese melts and latches onto the layer above and below it. We used ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese in different elements of the dish! Using more than one variety of cheese really adds those complex flavours we’re looking for!
What Cookware Should I Use For Instant Pot Lasagna?
Here’s how to cook lasagna in the Instant Pot. We used a 7*3 inch round tin with a detachable base. The lasagna is layered in the traditional way inside the tin and sealed with foil both inside the base and on top. This is then pressure cooked in the Instant Pot. Since it is pressure cooked, the lasagna gets cooked in a moist environment. Plus, it is sealed with foil so all the juices are locked in the tin, making it more juicy, flavourful and aromatic! Nothing can escape the mighty Instant Pot haha! The cooking time is only 24 minutes, excluding pressure building time and resting time. It’s really the easiest way to feed a hungry horde!
How To Layer Lasagna
Layering the lasagna is the most fun part of the process – it’s really a dump and go kinda thing. I would suggest you have all the components ready before you begin layering. We followed a pattern while layering to get the most saucy instant pot pasta. The idea is to follow up each layer of pasta with a layer of tomato sauce or the ricotta filling, so that the pasta remains moist and takes in all those flavours. It’s also important to add some water on top of the pasta sheets so they cook properly. You should get about 3-4 layers of pasta sheets in the lasagna. The last layer on top is the mozzarella for that cheesy finish on top! Check out the video to see how simple and fun the layering is!
Top Tips and Tricks To Make The Best Instant Pot Lasagna
- Don’t use too much water or oil – use only as much as mentioned in the recipe! There are so many components which will leave out water or juices while cooking, and you don’t want to end up with a soggy mess.
- We used packaged no-cook pasta sheets for this recipe as they are much easier to layer. If you are using fresh pasta, please note that the cooking time will vary drastically.
- Since we didn’t pre cook the lasagna sheets, water became a very important part of the recipe. It’s super important as the lasagna sheets absorb water while cooking. In the absence of water, the pasta would absorb the juices from the sauce. In that case, the lasagna will be drier inside. Just remember to add the water in stages and not all at once.
- Just like in a pressure cooker, you’ll need to add water in the bottom of the Instant Pot so the lasagna gets cooked well. The pan is then placed on a trivet so that the bottom doesn’t touch the water.
- Don’t forget to season the sauce, ricotta mixture and the sauteed veggies before layering! This lasagna is all about packing in flavours into every layer!
- The first time we tried Instant Pot Lasagna, we didn’t know how important it was to cover the top with oil. We ended up with a dry top layer. Now we know better and so do you! Cover the top with aluminium foil before putting it into the instant pot, that way the layers will get cooked evenly!
We’ll eat a good lasagna any day, and this version is GOOOOOD! Try out this simple recipe and let us know what you think! Do you still prefer the OG Oven method? Or are you converts now? Let us know in the comments below!
More Instant Pot Recipes You Must Try:
- Instant Pot Chana Masala
- Instant Pot Thai Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Chowder with Bacon
- 21 Instant Pot Recipes For Every Mealtime
Watch how to make Instant Pot Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe Video
Instant Pot Lasagna (vegetarian)
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 2 Carrot medium, finely chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper small, finely chopped
- 1 Zucchini small, chopped
- 1 Cup Mushroom chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- ½ Cup Ricotta
- 1.5 Cups Spinach loosely packed
- 8-10 Basil leaves Chopped
- 1 Jar Pasta Sauce 400g/ 14 ounces
- 8-10 no cook Lasagna Sheets we used 8-10
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add the onion and saute for another minute. Add carrot and bell pepper and continue to saute for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, oregano and salt and saute for 2 minutes. Once done, turn off the flame and set aside.
- Blanch spinach in boiling water for 30 seconds and strain. Run it under cold water, strain well, squeeze any extra water out and roughly chop.
- Add the ricotta, blanched spinach, parmesan cheese and basil to a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Use a 7 x 3 inch round springform tin or a tin with a detachable bottom. Wrap the bottom on the outside with aluminium foil and seal the sides. Begin layering the ingredients in the following order:
- Spoon a ladleful of the sauce at the base and spread it out. Cover the base with lasagna sheets overlapping/tearing as required.
- Add the sauteed vegetables and spread them evenly over the lasagna sheets. Sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese over the veggies. Add half a ladle of sauce and spread it out. Cover with lasagna sheets overlapping/tearing as required. Pour around a quarter cup of water over the lasagna sheets.
- Add all the spinach ricotta mixture and spread it out. Add another ladle of sauce and spread it out. Cover with lasagna sheets.Pour a quarter cup of water over the lasagna sheets
- Add the remaining sauce and spread it out. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover the tin with aluminum foil and seal the sides.
Instant Pot Cooking
- Pour 1.5 cups of water into the Instant Pot and place a trivet. Place the springform pan on the trivet. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to SEALING.
- Choose MANUAL on HIGH pressure for 24 minutes. Once the timer is up and you hear a beep, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by doing a quick release. Remove the lid and carefully remove the baking tin. Unwrap the foil from the top and sides and remove the lasagna using the glass method shown in the video. There'll be some residual water that will come out when you remove the foil – don't worry, that's normal and will not affect the taste or flavour of the lasagna. Serve hot!