This Creamy Matar Paneer Curry is the kind of recipe that will save the day when your paneer cravings strike! Its super quick, yummy and is gluten free! Nothing beats a creamy, comforting and luscious curry, isn't it!?
Welcome to my second favorite way to eat paneer - creamy matar paneer curry. Because everyone needs an easy paneer recipe in their life and this one right here is everything that a good paneer curry should be - creamy, comforting, luscious.
Is it weird that I always have a block of paneer lying around in the fridge? Soft, delicious Homemade paneer for when I have the patience, but mostly store-bought because I'm a little lazy like that. But I can't live without paneer and I think Denver's as okay with it as he is with anything that's vegetarian but not a vegetable. Which means he loves it, in his own weird vegetarian hating way.
I'm not a big fan of green peas or matar as we call it in Hindi but in this curry, I kinda need them. It's just how the world works for me. When you want a quick and easy way to cook paneer, it's always matar paneer aka cottage cheese and green peas curry. I've tried this with potatoes (aloo matar paneer) and mushrooms (mushroom matar paneer) and those two rank a close second and third position but my first love - this matar paneer.
Now I know everyones going to have their own secret way of making matar paneer and I'd love to know how you make yours (leave me a comment) but I prefer mine creamy and blended instead of super chunky with all the bits of onions and tomatoes separate. So I just use my hand blender to give it a quick whizz while it's still in the pan. If you are the chunky matar paneer kinds, skip that step and you'll be fine too.
And you know another thing that's so great about this recipe? It's naturally Gluten Free and you can totally make it vegan if you sub the paneer for tofu and the yogurt for coconut milk. I know there are a lot of you out there who are always looking for vegan alternatives and this one right here is a winner in that category!
More Creamy Comforting Paneer Curries You Might Like:
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Saag Paneer
- Palak Paneer
- Palak Paneer Kofta Curry
- Spicy Achari Paneer
- Paneer Makhani
Watch This Creamy Matar Paneer Curry Recipe Video
Creamy Matar Paneer Curry
- 1 teaspoon Jeera or Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi optional
- ¾ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 250 grams Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¾ cup par boiled Green Peas or frozen Matar, thawed and boiled
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle add onions and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute the onions for a few minutes till translucent and add tomatoes, salt and all the spices. Mix well, and cover and cook for 5-7 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked through.
- Whisk yogurt in a bowl, and add the onion tomato mixture one tablespoon at a time to the bowl, mixing well after each time. After 5-6 tablespoons, transfer the yogurt mixture back into the pan. This method helps avoid the yogurt curdling.
- Switch off the flame and use a hand blender to blend the curry to a consistency that you like. This step is completely optional.
- Switch the flame back on and add the peas, garam masala and kasuri methi. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes and then add the paneer. Mix well and simmer for another 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame. Serve creamy matar paneer curry hot with parathas and rice.