Here’s a healthy and unique vegetarian recipe you can add to your table! This Easy Tandoori Whole Baked Cauliflower is a really different way to make Gobhi and serve it to your guests! Its marinated in a delicious and easy to make Tandoori Masala and is then baked with veggies till it gets a beautiful golden color!
Doesn’t that look stunning? I’m majorly in love with this whole piece of cauliflower for two reasons:
- It’s such a gorgeous way to present a boring vegetable when you have guests over
- Denver finally agreed to eat cauliflower and loved it!
Denver isn’t normally fussy but cauliflower is a big no no in our house. I know lots of people who hate cauliflower but I can do aloo gobhi any day. And this my friends is better than aloo gobhi.
It looks like a king sitting on a throne. Surrounded by humble subjects and all! No I’m not getting poetic about cauliflower, or maybe a little. But it deserves all the love you can show it. Plus it tastes amazing rolled into one of my instant naan. Tandoori Cauliflower Naan Tacos anyone?
It’s marinated in the most amazing uncomplicated tandoori masala and then roasted with all the veggies till it becomes golden and charred from top and still says juicy when you bite into it.
I feel like I’m describing a tender, juicy whole chicken, but this really does give me the same feeling!
It’s also perfect because Bangalore is still freezing, raining at odd hours, with a misty air that makes my just blow dried hair get frizzy and makes me look like I grew an afro! Plus my feet stay super cold all the time, and I have to run around in socks. That reminds me to buy those socks which have toes built in? Umm what are they called, again?! And where can I get them PRONTO? Because if I don’t, poor Denver has to sleep every night with cold feet next to him. And he doesn’t deserve it.
Enough talk about the weather. I’ve recently realised that being grown up means weather conversations. In fact my friend and I just caught ourselves talking about weather AND property investments. UGH. What has the world come to! When two, young (emphasizing on that word) women with healthy social lives resort to talking about money and savings and how blue the sky is, you know there’s something wrong.
Give me a break, and let me go have some more of this baked tandoori gobhi aka super tasty cauliflower that you won’t ever stop eating!
Easy tandoori whole baked cauliflower recipe which makes a stunning, healthy vegetarian main course!
- 1 Cauliflower, whole head of (approx. 1000 – 1200 gms)
- 3 large quartered Onions
- 3 quartered Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons (Oil)
- 1 cup hung Curds
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (Red)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (Powder)
- 2 tablespoons Ginger Garlic (Paste)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (Chopped for garnishing)
- Lime Juice
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the stem and leaves, while keeping the flower whole.
- Fill a large pot (big enough for the cauliflower) halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, carefully place the cauliflower and blanch for 5 minutes. Strain and let the cauliflower cool down a bit.
- Mix together curds, a tablespoon of oil, both chili powders, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder, ginger garlic paste and salt till blended.
- Once the cauliflower is cool, rub the curds mixture all over the cauliflower, potatoes and onions. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Brush an oven proof skillet or roasting pan large enough to fit the cauliflower with oil.
- Place the cauliflower in the skillet along with onions and potatoes and brush with oil. Bake for 20 -25 minutes till the top is golden brown and the cauliflower is cooked through. (Half way through, brush once more with oil)
- Squeeze lime juice and sprinkle coriander leaves on top. Serve immediately.
In case you don’t have all the spices on hand, substitute the powders with 2 – 3 tablespoons store bought Tandoori Masala.
Hang the curds for at least half an hour to drain most of the whey.
I used a cast iron skillet to bake this cauliflower but any oven proof baking pan will do.
You can marinate the cauliflower, place it in the baking dish and store it in the refrigerator. Place it in the oven 25 minutes before you are ready to eat.