Healthy Broccoli Soup that's super creamy and has a fantastic broccoli flavour without any cream in it. That's what makes this soup our go to dinner whenever I want to feed the family healthy food that's delicious.
A good cream of broccoli soup doesn't really need any cream in it. Trust me, when I say that you can make a thick and creamy soup that everyone will love and still keep it healthy.
Most broccoli cheese soups start with a roux, but we don't need to do any of that work. My secret to creamy vegetarian soups without any cream has always been potatoes. It's what I use in my cream of mushroom soup as well, and nobody can tell the difference!
You only need a few ingredients for this healthy broccoli soup, and its super easy to make from scratch. All you need is 30 minutes!
Broccoli Soup from Scratch
You are going to need:
- A whole head of broccoli
- Garlic and Onion
- Stock or Water
- Cheddar Cheese
- Carrots (totally optional)
Creamy Soup Base
The base of this soup comes together by sauteing onions and garlic in some oil and then simmering broccoli and potato with it in some broth and water. Once both these veggies are fork tender, everything gets blended to make a fabulous creamy broccoli soup base without any cream!! And the flavour - SO MUCH broccoli with a hint of garlic!
I finally love adding some more broccoli florets and carrots for extra texture and finally mixing in a little grated cheddar because broccoli cheddar is a match made in heaven!
In the video below, you'll also see a quick recipe for Cheesy Garlic Bread which is perfect for dunking into the soup.
If you want to speeden this up even further, just pressure cook the broccoli and potato. It'll cook the veggies slightly faster and make the veggies very tender.
Seriously, this creamy, healthy broccoli soup with cheddar is SO GOOD you'll be buying broccoli every week just for this.
Serve these with your Soup
- Dominos Style Garlic Bread
- French Bread Pizza Toasts
- Pepperoni Cheese Bombs
- Stuffed Pizza Bread
- No Yeast Pizza
Watch the Video
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped Garlic
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 large head Broccoli cut into florets
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup Broccoli Florets extra
- ¼ cup diced Carrots extra
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oil in a pot and saute garlic and onions till the onions are translucent.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, salt and water and bring this to a boil. Once this comes to a roaring boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15-20 minutes till the broccoli and potatoes are fork tender.
- Let the mixture cool and blend this with milk till the soup is creamy and well blended.
- Pour this back into the pot and add broccoli florets and carrots if using. Simmer this for 5-10 minutes, mix in the grated cheddar and turn off the flame. Serve hot.
- If you want to speeden this up even further, just pressure cook the broccoli and potato. It'll cook the veggies slightly faster and make the veggies very tender.
- Make it vegan: Use almond or soy based milk. Use vegan cheese or skip it.
- Add in any combination of chopped boiled vegetables to this soup while serving for extra taste and texture.