Healthy Broccoli Soup that's super creamy and has a fantastic broccoli flavour without any cream in it. That's what makes this soup our go-to dinner whenever I want to feed the family healthy food that's delicious.
A good cream of broccoli soup doesn't really need any cream in it. Trust me, when I say that you can make a thick and creamy soup that everyone will love and still keep it healthy. Most broccoli cheese soups start with a roux, but we don't need to do any of that work. My secret to creamy vegetarian soups without any cream has always been potatoes. It's what I use in my cream of mushroom soup as well, and nobody can tell the difference!
You only need a few ingredients for this healthy broccoli soup, and its super easy to make from scratch. All you need is 30 minutes!
Quick Walk Through: Healthy Broccoli Soup
What You'll Need To Make This Broccoli Soup
You are going to need:
- Broccoli: One whole head of fresh broccoli, thoroughly washed, cleaned, and cut into florets.
- Potatoes: To add creaminess and body to the soup.
- Garlic and Onion: For flavor and aroma. These also form the base of the soup.
- Stock or Water: To adjust the consistency of the soup. I prefer to use water for this soup, but vegetable stock also tastes really nice.
- Cheddar Cheese: For added creaminess and flavor.
- Carrots: This one's totally optional, but I love carrots add an extra layer of texture and earthy flavors to the dish. Plus make this already healthy soup even healthier and more wholesome.
Creamy Soup Base
The base of this soup comes together by sauteing onions and garlic in some oil and then simmering broccoli and potato with it in some broth and water. Once both these veggies are fork tender, everything gets blended to make a fabulous creamy broccoli soup base without any cream!! And the flavour - SO MUCH broccoli with a hint of garlic!
I finally love adding some more broccoli florets and carrots for extra texture and finally mixing in a little grated cheddar because broccoli cheddar is a match made in heaven!
Richa's Top Tips To Make The Best Broccoli Soup
- This soup gets thicker as it cools down, so keep that in mind when adjusting the consistency of the soup.
- Always allow the mixture to completely cool down before blending it in the mixture to avoid splatters and accidents.
- You can even use an immersion blender directly in the pan to speed up the process. This won't give you the same super smooth finish of blending it in a mixer, but if you don't mind a slightly chunky soup, then this will work great.
- This soup easily lasts in the fridge (when stored in a clean, air tight container) for about 4 to 5 days.
- You can even freeze this soup for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat, simply allow it thaw on the counter, reheat and serve for a delicious, easy meal in no time.
If you want to speeden this up even further, just pressure cook the broccoli and potato. It'll cook the veggies slightly faster and make the veggies very tender. Seriously, this creamy, healthy broccoli soup with cheddar is SO GOOD you'll be buying broccoli every week just for this.
I love serving this with some Cheesy Garlic Bread, which is perfect for dunking into the soup. Some other recipes that taste great with this soup are French bread pizza toasts, pepperoni cheese bombs, stuffed pizza bread, and the no yeast pizza.
Watch the Video
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped Garlic
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 large head Broccoli cut into florets
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup Broccoli Florets extra
- ¼ cup diced Carrots extra
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oil in a pot and saute garlic and onions till the onions are translucent.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, salt and water and bring this to a boil. Once this comes to a roaring boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15-20 minutes till the broccoli and potatoes are fork tender.
- Let the mixture cool and blend this with milk till the soup is creamy and well blended.
- Pour this back into the pot and add broccoli florets and carrots if using. Simmer this for 5-10 minutes, mix in the grated cheddar and turn off the flame. Serve hot.
- If you want to speeden this up even further, just pressure cook the broccoli and potato. It'll cook the veggies slightly faster and make the veggies very tender.
- Make it vegan: Use almond or soy based milk. Use vegan cheese or skip it.
- Add in any combination of chopped boiled vegetables to this soup while serving for extra taste and texture.