There’s mid week madness going on and what’s keeping me alive? This Sweet Chili Tofu Stir Fry. Piping hot, slightly sweet, but majorly spicy sauce that wraps itself all over that tofu and gives me fifteen minutes of phenomenal happiness in this otherwise crazy day.
There is a truck load of work that needs wrapping up because I’m getting ready for an epic holiday with my best friends from all over. Where are we going? Umm we don’t know yet. What we do know is that we will be spending next week attached at the hip. What can be more fun for four girls who haven’t spent four minutes together in months? Whatever we finally end up doing, I promise you’d be the first to know. Pinky swear.
Why don’t you give me some suggestions? We want ideas on where we can go around Bangalore for a couple of days; like a weekend getaway but slightly longer. You’ve had an epic trip that you don’t mind telling me about? Leave a comment below and let’s touch base super quick. Budget ideas please.
For now, I’ll leave you with this recipe and go plan my trip. Can’t make it now? Just PIN it for later.
Simple sweet chili tofu stir fry that uses only 12 ingredients and takes minutes. Serve with noodles or rice for a delicious weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon (Oil)
- 5 – 6 cloves Garlic (chopped finely ,)
- 1 inch Ginger (piece of , julienned)
- 2 Chilies (Green , slit lengthwise)
- 1 large one inch Onion (, cut into squares)
- 200 g Tofu (, cut into squares)
- ½ cup green Bell Peppers (red and , cut into squares one inch)
- to taste Salt
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chili paste (Red (Soak 3 dried red chilies for 30 m and grind into a fine paste))
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce (Light)
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- ½ cup Water
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add ginger, garlic and green chilies. Saute on high heat for 30 seconds and add the onions.
- Cook the onions for 2-3 minutes. The onions should start to become translucent but still be crunchy. Add the tofu and bell peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients under sauce and add to the pan.
- The sauce will start to thicken and bubble. Keep stirring as you cook on medium heat for a few minutes till you are happy with the consistency of the sauce and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice noodles or steamed rice.
I haven’t counted oil, water and salt while counting the 12 ingredients, assuming you would easily have those at home.
Stir fry all the ingredients on high heat as far as possible.
You can substitute tofu for cottage cheese. However, you’ll have to be more careful while cooking since cottage cheese is softer compared to tofu and may break apart.
We like our food spicy so feel free to reduce the spice levels.