I can turn into a vegetarian for this burger.
That would definitely make my mum happy. But you guys, this Fully Loaded Veggie Burger is sooooo good that I even had it for breakfast today. I like to slather it with lots of Avocado Mint Chutney and ketchup because burgers can’t live without ketchup. Even if we pretend not to care about ketchup. Ketchup + Burger = Killer combination. This burger is really worth trying at home and is one of those recipes you would want to turn to when you feel like having something fun!
I added lots of veggie goodness to this big ass yumminess. Chickpeas, bulgur, oats, carrots, onions and mint made the burger super wholesome and filling. And I really needed this fun meal for myself. Last few days have been a meat overload, and for once in my life, I’m craving veggies. That doesn’t happen very often. But believe me, when it does, you must have a good recipe handy to turn to and fulfill your cravings! The ingredients of this burger patty have the nutrition content your body needs. Its safe to say that this is a rather fun way of consuming nutrients 😉
The best part – turn these patties into tiny veg balls and stuff them in your pitas, serve them as cutlets with chutney or just flatten them out for an awesome sandwich filling. I love it when I can recycle recipes, and this is totally my big favorite right now. It is so versatile and goes with anything without feeling out of place.
If you like this burger, also check out another awesomesauce Veggie Burger on my friend Sandhya’s blog.
BTW are we friends on Instagram yet? Haww. Connect with me PRONTO and I’d love to swap stories.
This fully loaded veggie burger with avocado mint chutney is crunchy outside and flavorful inside. A hamburger like patty makes sure you don’t miss the meat.
- 6 Burger (Buns)
- Onions (Sliced)
- 2 tablespoons (Oil)
For the Burger Patty:
- 2 cups Chickpeas ,cooked
- ½ cup Bulgur , cooked (Broken wheat or daliya)
- 1 cup Oats (quick cooking)
- 1 cup Carrots (grated)
- 2 Onions (medium sized , finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic (paste)
- ½ teaspoon Ginger (paste)
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (Powder)
- ¼ packed Mint (loosely , finely chopped cup)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour (or Maida)
- ¼ cup Milk (or Almond -for a vegan option)
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
For the Avocado Mint Chutney:
- 1 Avocado (ripe , peeled , cored and chopped)
- ½ cup Mint (fresh)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Jalapeno
- to taste Salt
- To make the patty, add cooked chickpeas in a food processor and pulse a few times till coarsely ground.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients from chickpeas to salt listed under burger patty (leave aside flour, milk and breadcrumbs). Taste to adjust seasoning as required.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- In three different bowls, add flour, milk and breadcrumbs.
- Take ½ cup chickpea mixture, and form into a burger patty. Dust it with flour first , dip it lightly in milk and coat it quickly with bread crumbs.
- Slide the patties in oil, and cook for 10 minutes on each side till golden brown and cooked through.
- Grind all the ingredients under avocado mint chutney to make a smooth paste. Add a little water if required.
- To assemble the burgers, slice the buns in half. Layer with lettuce, place the patty and top with the avocado mint chutney and onions. Don’t forget the ketchup 🙂
I used a really spicy hot sauce. Feel free to increase if you are using any other hot sauce like Sriracha.
Depending on the size of patty, the cooking time may vary by a few minutes.
I love adding an egg or tomatoes to my burgers. Play around with this recipe to see what you like on your burger.